Glastron V176 Swinger Needs Some TLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeepanIout

Recruit
Have a Glastron V176 Swinger year unknown he said it was a '74. He told me he was going to look for the titles for the boat and trailer. Did some work for a guy and was going to charge him $50. After I was done his wife said to me, Hey how about a boat for your trouble? Want to get rid of it. I thought to myself it must be pretty bad for $50 so I took a look at it. Well it hasnt ran for fifteen years and he didnt keep it stored that well. The deck and stringers are pretty rotted and was thinking about putting some time and effort into it to see if I could make a decent boat out of it. It has a 115hp Evinrude on it that he said was a great runner, yet to be seen. Up for the challenges and know this isnt going to be a overnight project do to my time and budget. Been reading and looking at some of pictures in these threads and found them to be pretty helpful. Took some pictures but my 12yr old misplaced my USB cable so the pictures are going to have to wait.

Any helpful tips that could be mentioned would be greatly appreciated. Taken my first step of many to get on the water! Woo! Hoo!

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Glastron V176 Swinger Needs Some TLC

So, she couldn't stand to see you make some money and decided to give you a pit to put your future earnings into :D

Cool, welcome to the forum, plenty of info here to get you threw it all.

BTW: Catchy handle :cool:

KeepanIout

Recruit

So, she couldn't stand to see you make some money and decided to give you a pit to put your future earnings into :D

Cool, welcome to the forum, plenty of info here to get you threw it all.

BTW: Catchy handle :cool:

Thanks, I figure the trailer is at least worth $50 if all else fails. Time will tell. :)

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I just bought a 77 V174, but I have yet to find a soft spot on mine (fingers crossed). Mine didn't come perfect though as I am having to get the head resurfaced as I type and the engine block water drain is seized. I really like the lines of these boats and think it is worth restoring. Does yours have several rubber plugs in the bilge that stop water flowing from the hull into the bilge?

jcsercsa

Captain

Hay KeepenIout, welcome !!! good find, but dont do anything till you get the title !! you get her done and hr could come and get her!! not saying he would but she not your till you got that title !!

Ok looking forward to some pics !!! John

KeepanIout

Recruit

Here are some pictures.....

100_0608.jpg

100_0609.jpg

100_0611.jpg

100_0612.jpg

100_0613.jpg

100_0607-1.jpg

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

Looks good from far but far from good :rolleyes: your title says TLC but all I see is ICU :D Just goofin with ya man, my boat was in about the same condition as yours, if not worse.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Nice project. Glad to see an old Glastron making it's way back to the water. :)

jesse42181

Recruit

i triied uploading pics of my 176 Swinger glastron but pics are too large. Anyhow im close to you.. and doing same project in Albion.. I had to cut off back section and remove old transom and all flooring, there was no denying it, it simply was so weak the motor would bust off and my foot went through floor. I learned everythinng from this site and rebuilt my last boat and sold it. . I didnt notice if your had the seats in the back of yours.. I have also a 115hp but its Johnson I got for a trade for the 65hp Evinrude I rebuilt. I know that Evinrude you have inside and out if you need some help with that. It would be cool to cruise our swingers out together upon completion. Im not going the marine ply Im using Pine with extra epoxy to seal top and bottom. I'm contiplating shaving and thickening transom to support 2-115hp outboards. Nice boat after completion it will be worth the labor 10 fold

_chris_

Chief Petty Officer

If all else fails you got a motor and trailer for 50 bucks, not a bad deal if you ask me. I just sold my V-177 Swinger but it was a great boat.

91shelby

Recruit

Nice, i Too just picked up a 1971 V176 Swinger with the 115HP Evinrude that runs hull is in great shape for its age, just needs some interior work. also came with a nice lil ez loader for the total price of 100$ lol

SKOOTCH

Seaman Apprentice

Hello All! I just got a hold of a 71 V176 myself and its right up there with yours as far as condition. (Mine has a steering wheel, though;)
With all these Swingers we're fixin' up, we should all compare notes and make it easy on ourselves.
"The only thing that works on an old boat is the OWNER!!"

I have a thread going as well if you want to check it out.
http://forums.iboats.com/member.php?u=249967

Happy buildin'

tallcanadian

Captain

Another awesome tri hull build. She's rough but very doable. I'm jealous, I'd love to get my hands on this one. Good luck and have fun.

JFarrell1

Recruit

Hey guys, first time boay owner here. My father-in-law gave me a v-176 swinger and it neds work. I just want to know when it comes to restoring where do i need to start first. I will be posting pictures soon but the floor is rotting, needs re-wiring, basically a whole new makeover. Just like I said I just want to know where I really need to begin with this project lol. HELP

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Please refer to rule #12, JF.

Status
Not open for further replies.