WOT RPMs - You by Yourself, or w/ Load & Passengers

seedlings

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Should engine Wide Open Throttle RPMs be established with just You and the Boat, without standard equipment (fishing, cooler...), without standard passengers (wife and kids)?

Or, should you account for standard equipment and passengers when setting trim (manual for me) and selecting the prop pitch to get factory recommended rpm range? Loaded, I'm ~4400rpm when the manual recommends 4500-5500rpm. I have yet the privelage of a solo voyage.

Thanks... learning slowly.

CHAD

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: WOT RPMs - You by Yourself, or w/ Load & Passengers

It should be with an average load and passangers. Hopefully you do not typically go around overloaded. Generally speaking it is usually 2-3 people and 3/4 your fuel capacity and what ever else you would normally carry.

CanWoodsman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I find it best to set up with the usual way you use the boat. That being said you are only about 100 rpm short of your recomended range loaded and would be within it unloaded. If your prop is in good shape I wouldn't worry. If you do get another prop drop 1" in your pitch (same diam. and type) and you should be in the range loaded & unloaded.

Rick

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

For best performance and longevity get the RPMs to the top of the range, your engine will thank you for it with many more years of trouble free service.