Replacing Lower Drive Shaft Seal w/ Upper Still on Boat ...

anon1

Seaman
Is it possible?

Dropped the lower to replace impeller and part of the driveshaft seal came out. The rubber part came out, the metal is still up in there. :mad:

It is this part 26-965031.

Who has the trick to get the remainder of that seal out from below? What tool?

Any tips at all would be really appreciated.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Replacing Lower Drive Shaft Seal w/ Upper Still on Boat ...

Any tool with a hook end, small slide hammer, small steel rod, etc.
just pull the outer piece out, install the new one with :
a long 1/2 inch extention with a 1/2 inch socket larger than the seal installed backwards on the extention so your using the flat end where you would normally insert the extention. drive untill flush

anon1

Seaman

Thanks Doc.

Maybe you remember just yesterday I showed you a picture of my 6-hose t-stat housing? Well, I found a piece of rubber impeller wedged into one of the smaller outlets with the ball/spring in it.

That little piece led me to the impeller change. The existing impeller was not missing any pieces so the small piece must have been in there from the prior impeller. I replaced the existing impeller anyway.

Which led to finding this oil seal piece. Lordy, $16 for one little seal. I sure hope this doesn't lead to anything else except for blue water, cool drinks, and good times.

anon1

Seaman

OK, two hours of fartin' around and no progress. I've got a slide hammer but not with a long shaft with a hook on the end. I've got other long shaft hooked end things but none with any weight or handles to actually yank that seal out. It is in there.

How would the shop do this? Is there a special tool? Would they take off the upper and go from the other end somehow?

Has anyone really ever done this?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

OK, two hours of fartin' around and no progress.

Why not just remove the upper from the boat? Then you can do it at the comfort of your workbench instead of looking up at it from the bottom. Beats messin' around for two hours. ;)

anon1

Seaman

You're right Fishermark, it would have saved the frustration. That is what gets me going.

Anyway, I went and bought a slide hammer puller with the inside seal removal attachment. One good pull and that seal was out.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Don't forget to put some sealer on the new one so it stays in place. You don't want it fallin' out when you 20 miles from shore....or anytime.