1970 60HP Evinrude problems.

rayodunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had this problem last season and never found a solution for it. Here's what is happening.
Problem one.
Motor starts fine and idles fine.
I take the boat out from the dock and increase throttle.
Revs increase to 2k for a second or two then they increase to 5k
Motor has no hole shot.
Problem two.
After running down the river for a km or two the motor starts missing or kicking. I lower the revs and it runs fine again for a minute or 2 and then does the miss again and I lower the revs etc.... Eventually I am running the boat at 1500rpm. I at this point cannot increase the revs with out the motor spluttering and kicking. Now if I turn off the motor for 2 minutes and then start again it will run WOT again. During this I have tried squeezing the primer bulb and it does not help.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1970 60HP Evinrude problems.

First, compression test.
What do the spark plugs look like after it's been running?

You need to narrow the problem down to spark or fuel. That will involve a spark test after it starts acting up.

Report your results.

I would also recommend testing the overtemp horn, if you haven't already.

rayodunne

Petty Officer 1st Class

First, compression test.
What do the spark plugs look like after it's been running?

You need to narrow the problem down to spark or fuel. That will involve a spark test after it starts acting up.

Report your results.

I would also recommend testing the overtemp horn, if you haven't already.

Thanks for your response.
Spark plugs look normal after running. Not fuel soaked or not sooty.
Guess I need to take it out without the wife and kids to do spark test as the wife gets very nervous when it starts missing.
I have not tested the overheat alarm and will do.
Just inform anyone else and yourself last season I replaced the following parts on this new to me motor with the hope that I would not have issues.
1. Coil
2. Rectifier
3. Fuel pump
4. Carb kits all 3
5. CDI unit.
6. Plug wires
7. Thermostat
8. Impeller and lower unit seals.
9. I also rebuilt the hole wire harness.
10.Fuel piping
11. Fuel primer bulb and supply pipe.
12. Fuel tank
13. I cleaned the copper traces on the cap and rotor.
14. Replaced the Stator with a used unit that tested good.

rayodunne

Petty Officer 1st Class

Had a link & sync done by evinrude dealer last summer. Dealer also adjusted slow speed needles for me. Before I had that done the motor would not run good at all.

rayodunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
1970 60HP Evinrude problems.

I checked my alarm and it function. I also added a tell-tale and pump is working fine. Now as I was running the motor in a tub last night I did make a discovery. The boot on the plug wire from the coil at the distributor was ripped and arcing to the flywheel. I had a spare boot and replaced it then I could still here an erratic arcing coming from under the flywheel.
Do the points make any noise on this motor? Or is there an issue with my distributor?

This might sound crazy but if possible try to run the motor at night in total darkness, take a spray bottle that uses a fine mist of water, dont soak the engine but spray it lighty and in the darkness see if you see any spark jumping.
I found a bad wire like this once on a older motor I had.

Good luck

F_R

Supreme Mariner

This might sound crazy but if possible try to run the motor at night in total darkness, take a spray bottle that uses a fine mist of water, dont soak the engine but spray it lighty and in the darkness see if you see any spark jumping.
I found a bad wire like this once on a older motor I had.

Good luck

As I read this long tale of woe, I kept looking for where you replaced the spark plugs. Did you? And if you did, what did you replace them with? The 1970 60hp was a lousy runner with marginal ignition system from the get-go and the only thing that made them run decent was the introduction of the L77JC4 spark plugs. Throw those worthless surface gap plugs in the trash if you still have them.

Aside from all that, the arcing sound from the distributor doesn't sound right. But that too might be caused by the voltage demand of the plugs if my hunch is correct.

Did I mention marginal ignition system?

rayodunne

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replies. I put the spark plugs in last fall and they are not the surface gap ones. Boat used twice this season. I will replace but I did not know these plugs would fail so soon after installing.
The arcing is happening under the flywheel where it can't be seen even in darkness. I started a search for a replacement distibutor cap and boy they are expensive and rare used. There is a chip gone off the one I have so I think it is allowing spark to jump to the crank.

rayodunne

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok were back in boating season again so I took a fresh look at the motor to see if I could solve this "long tale of woe" Quote FR. I discovered that the fuel pump that was sold to me is the wrong one and is only meant to be used on 2 cyl and smaller motors. The only difference I can see is the size of the supply nipple for the line to the carbs. It does however have a threaded nipple for this so I can replace with proper sizer nipple.
Has any one got a fuel pump from this motor and could they please measure the inside diameter of the supply nipple. This would help me out so much! Thanks.