Trim pump reservoir replacement tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

bear_69cuda

Commander
Morning Gang,

I ordered the new reservoir, bottom screw and o-rings for my trim/tilt pump. Single screw type for 1999 Alpha I gen II drive. Looking at the service manual, they say to remove the hydraulic lines from the pump adapter relieving pressure, then remove the entire assembly before removing the reservoir from the pump adapter/motor. It looks to me like I could possibly just remove the motor, adaptor, and the reservoir with lines connected, remove the single screw holding the reservoir to the adapter, replace reservoir with new o-ring, and screw with new o-ring, without removing hydraulic lines... Anyone do it this way?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trim pump reservoir replacement tips

Drain what oil is left,if any. Remove the screws hold the pump bracket to the boat, tip sideways, replace plastic, res.refil with oil.
DO NOT tighten excessively, it will crack again.

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bear, it takes like 1 minute to remove the lines from the pump... Why wouldn't you do it? ;)

Be sure you note which is the low and high pressure line and put them back in the same place.

With them removed you can pull the pump, motor and reservoir out as an assembly to replace the reservoir and take a good look at everything. Makes it easier to drain the reservoir too.

When I did mine, I had to replace both filters on the pump.

MC_What have I done?!

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First off, I am sorry, I know the rules about replying to old threads but I have searched google and iboats and have found very little information on this topic and need some help.

Bear, it takes like 1 minute to remove the lines from the pump... Why wouldn't you do it? ;)

Be sure you note which is the low and high pressure line and put them back in the same place.

With them removed you can pull the pump, motor and reservoir out as an assembly to replace the reservoir and take a good look at everything. Makes it easier to drain the reservoir too.

When I did mine, I had to replace both filters on the pump.

Zackman I assume you are talking about the 2 metal screen filters on the bottom of the motor that go into the pump reservoir. Here's hoping you will see the tag and respond. Where did you purchase the filters from? The filters on mine are deteriorated and if I don't find them, I just know I am going to end up with trashed cylinders and pump and have to drop $300 on a new one.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
First off, I am sorry, I know the rules about replying to old threads but I have searched google and iboats and have found very little information on this topic and need some help.

Zackman I assume you are talking about the 2 metal screen filters on the bottom of the motor that go into the pump reservoir. Here's hoping you will see the tag and respond. Where did you purchase the filters from? The filters on mine are deteriorated and if I don't find them, I just know I am going to end up with trashed cylinders and pump and have to drop $300 on a new one.

Are you expecting Zack to reply? Dream on, he hasn't been here in 7 years but he's been waiting for a Mention.

You know if you started a new thread about your issue it's possible some of our current and active members may help you out.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.