12' 1960s AeroCraft restoration

Huron Angler

Admiral
I've used this boat my entire life, more so lately, and it is time to get her restored, properly equipped and polished a bit.

She is a 12 foot aluminum row boat from the late 1960s. This boat has been in my family for many years and I have been the only one taking her out:D
DSCF00316.jpg

The oars that I've used are still intact and handy but I've been using a 30lb. Minn Kota since last spring.

So far I have rebucked rivets to ward off leaks and cleaned and sanded throughout the hull. Cabela's 3M aluminum patch has been applied to problem rivets on both the interior and exterior. I was not aware that gluvit is the best solution for leaky rivets at that time.:D

Last edited:

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: 12' Aerocraft

Portside transom view, "The Loon" original name to my knowledge - still in use, Minn Kota. I plan on replacing the interior and exterior transom wood, need ideas on the best type of wood to use.
DSCF00597.jpg

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Use just about any plywood you can that is exterior grade and completely sealed up on all surfaces. On my smaller 14' Starcraft I actually mounted a piece of plastic and not wood ;) Never will rot.

DSCN5167.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Use just about any plywood you can that is exterior grade and completely sealed up on all surfaces. On my smaller 14' Starcraft I actually mounted a piece of plastic and not wood ;) Never will rot.

That is a good way to go Bob...I realized that my transom is near disaster because the trolling motor has been slipping and tearing a little bit of wood out of there any time a log is hit.

I figure there are three solutions-Better navigation of underwater obstacles, deeper water, or the best idea, rebuilding the transom.

I would like to have some sort of lip above the mounts on the inside as a safety catch for the motor. Given the tiny amount of room available I'm not sure it is possible.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Me rowing my favorite crew around Lake Huron in the morning before the afternoon chop arrives.:D

I used to get some exercize on this boat in the pre-MinnKota days. I actually still have a set of little Aquabugs I used to use, one electric, one 1.2hp.
P0001033.jpg

Last edited:

Huron Angler

Admiral

View of old transom wood and 3M patches on rivets and seams.
DSCF0341.jpg

Last edited:

Huron Angler

Admiral

Stern deck smurf turf circa 1967...I only have the one knee pushing back on the transom, hence the 7.5hp rating from the Coast Guard.;)
DSCF0339.jpg

Last edited:

Huron Angler

Admiral

Test section for the 3M bedliner spray that will cover the interior to just above the waterline.
DSCF0338.jpg

Last edited:

Huron Angler

Admiral

After spraying the bedliner inside...
DSCF0709.jpg

DSCF0707.jpg

This shot shows blue painters tape(thanks Roslynn), rear bench seat board added to support a seat/pedestal, also some varnish has been brushed on the wood and oars...
DSCF2371.jpg

Last edited:

Huron Angler

Admiral

another view of the fresh bedliner from the stern portside.
DSCF2369.jpg

the taping and much of the spraying was done by my best helper Roslynn(thanks again:)) she has some skills, I like how the transom looks with the knee sprayed at the same height as the rest:D

BTW If you are curious...the tape on the gunwales was there in case I decided to coat the corners to increase grip but I decided against it since I am 6'5" and standing there is not the best idea unless I am trying to jump off for a swim.:D
DSCF2367.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

This is how the rig looks after some use(I try to keep the boat usable throughout the restoration as I need to get on the water at least three times/week :D and my only other craft is a 12' canoe that isn't as nice for fishing). Notice that the middle bench has been sprayed as well. I want to cut a hatch in that bench to replace foam and create storage/cooler/livewell but cannot due to structural concerns.:eek:
DSCF2620.jpg

DSCF2619.jpg

DSCF2618.jpg

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks Good! a small fun project is a great starter. It looks like the bedliner didn't stick to your aluminum very well?

Huron Angler

Admiral

Looks Good! a small fun project is a great starter. It looks like the bedliner didn't stick to your aluminum very well?

The bedliner adheres pretty well to the aluminum, if I had to do it all over again I would use gluvit on the interior hull and then just set my decking in on top of the bare aluminum.

The bedliner adds weight to the boat and is actually quite difficult to remove if I needed to. Like Bob said, if I need to rebuck rivets again that bedliner will only get in the way.

Last edited:

Huron Angler

Admiral

Since I didn't outline my goals with this project on this thread yet I thought it would be appropriate.

-rebuck all rivets with hammer to tighten and seal DONE!
-gluvit to rivets/seams that are still bare aluminum
-2 swivel seats, 1-2 pedestals DONE!
-3-10hp outboard(hopefully a nice looking Mercury or Johnnyrude) UPDATE! 1958 5.5hp Johnson will be mounted
-4-6 pole holders
-wooden decking inserts stained and sealed DONE!
-anchoring hardware on bow and stern PURCHASED
-convert transom Minn Kota to bow-mount after outboard is on
-bow, stern navigation lights and switches
-install permanent fish finder transducer on trolling motor DONE!
-exterior hull paint, thinking dark navy or royal blue w/ grey on underside
-cut out hatches, remove foam and replace with new in two aft bench seats to provide storage and reduce weight from old possibly waterlogged foam-correction, foam is fine:D

This project is all about saving a family heirloom from the elements and restoring it so that my three nephews(2, 5, and 11) and my two sons(1 and 3.5) will have a manageable boat fully equipped just for them to use;) In the meantime before I buy an older aluminum Starcraft to rebuild I will fish and explore with this rig to make sure it is safe.:)

Last edited:

Huron Angler

Admiral

Here are some photos of the 1.2hp Aquabug that needs a fuel filter, new/repaired fuel cap and a fuel line modification.
DSCF2705.jpg

DSCF2706.jpg

DSCF2707.jpg

DSCF2708.jpg

DSCF2709.jpg

Close-up of the carb where the fuel filter should be
DSCF2710.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Here's a look at it with the fuel filter cap in place.
DSCF2712.jpg

As you can see there is a nasty fracture that is a problem...need to find a new one somehow since repairing may not be a good idea
DSCF2713.jpg

DSCF2714.jpg

Capacity plate...anyone know buy the look of it the year? I ballpark it at 1967 but am not sure by any means. That is just because of a brochure I've seen.
DSCF2717.jpg

a look at the teeny little 3-bladed prop:)
DSCF2720.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Well I have made some progress:D This is the amidships decking built with free wood that I salvaged and will be stained darker and sealed.
DSCF3535.jpg

The stern flooring will store batteries/gas tank secured with bungees/straps
DSCF3536.jpg

DSCF3537.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

I'm not much of a carpenter but I'm relatively happy with the finished product:)
DSCF3539.jpg

DSCF3540.jpg

Vintage speed sander is probably older than the boat, works great after sitting since possibly the early 90s when my late Grandfather last used it:D
DSCF3543.jpg

I love old stuff that still works
DSCF3544.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: 12' 1960s Aerocraft restoration

More progress...I got awfully lucky on friday. I checked craigslist after work and saw a nice bounty of merchandise from a guy who recently sold his 17' starcraft. This 6.6 gallon gas tank cost me $25 It's currently rigged up for a Merc outboard but could easily be modified to use on my 1.2hp or on my friend's 25hp Johnson if we need an extra tank. Since it is a Merc tank I am on the lookout for a 7.5hp 70s-whatever to finish the repowering.
DSCF3626.jpg

DSCF3625.jpg

It fits nicely on the new decking and will help balance my weight(220lbs) when it is full of gas/oil mix.:)
DSCF3624.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

The best score was these two blue/grey/white seats for $40:eek: They were installed on his boat last summer brand new but not used much at all.:D The bow seat is haphazardly installed now because we needed to go fishing yesterday;)
We ended up enjoying the comfort of the seats and caught a mess of perch, sunfish and bass.:D
DSCF3620.jpg

One of the seats came with a swivel and a clamp mount that made installation too easy. Both seats came with the swivel bases and I will most likely be buying a removable pedestal for the bow seat. I'd like to get one for the tiller seat as well but mounting would be more difficult.
DSCF3615.jpg