anyone knows what this hole is???

tigerlegend2000

Seaman Apprentice
hi all
i'm in the process of putting the engine back after rebuilt...(1985 mercury inline 6)... one thing really confusing me is there's a hole between the power head and the mid-section ( see pic.)... forgot to check before took them aparted... anyone know what and why it's there and its purpose?... should i seal them with high temp silicon?... seem like to me the hole is where the water intake port... thanks all

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 0
  • picture 2.jpg
    picture 2.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: anyone knows what this hole is???

I never saw anything like that. Do you know the history of the motor? Is it possible someone installed a different powerhead on that midsection? Does water come out?

tigerlegend2000

Seaman Apprentice
Re: anyone knows what this hole is???

i bought it at a local guy got too many boats, don't know much the history of the motor even the seller. As far as i know, there's no leak came out from there (and or around that mid section) the last 2 years. i just only noticed that after i rebuilt the engine. I though the same way too... whoever it is, put the powerhead on the mid section of maybe 100 hp or 90 hp.... i don't know... i hope sombody in here came across this problem and let me know what it does for them.... i will check it that hole out when i do timing, sync and link this coming days... will post results..... thanks