4.3 exhaust

SPDFRK68

Cadet
I bought a boat about a week ago its a 89 dynasty apollo 190. I originally had through transom exhaust. But was converted to thru prop. I would like to put it back(no matter how many people say it wont sound good). My question is can i just cap the y-pipe and run it back to the transom. m I don't have the money to make it captains choice and no one i have found makes a non switchable y connector. Please help me out.

Thanx

MercBravoIII

Cadet
Re: 4.3 exhaust

why do you wanna convert it back? I suppose you can cap your Y pipe off, how are you gunna plug it? My opinion is to just leave it how you have it.You Just bought it, converted it and now you wanna put it back?

havasuboatman

Ensign

I suppose you could figure out a way to cap it off, but that's kinda' mickey mouse. If your caps fail while your boat is in the water, it's going to sink...fast.
The correct way to do it would be to remove the Y pipe and use an exhaust block off plate. It attaches where the Y pipe was attached to the transom assy.
Pro's:
This is the safest and correct way to accomplish what you want to do. It give you a cleaner rig. Makes a lot of other places easier to inspect.
Con's:
The drive must be removed so that you can lift (or remove) the engine to get access to the Y pipe connecter bolts and to get the Y pipe out.

havasuboatman

Ensign

Is there an echo in here? hello.....ello....ello
Sorry, sometimes I think I'm funny

mylesm260

Chief Petty Officer

Ya, a lot of people are going to read your post and scratch their heads as to you're motivations.

Switching to thru-hull exhaust will do absolutely nothing for you, but make your boat sound loud, and make those boating around you think you are a D-bag.

From a performance stand-point, there is nothing to be gained with the stock V6 manifolds in place, and from a safety and doing it properly stand point, you're going to have to remove the engine to properly block off where the y-pipe goes...

SPDFRK68

Cadet

What can i say the years of running my duster with open headers down the track makes me yern to here the the motor i woult like to put a non switchable y pipe in but I dont want to spend the 160.00 then cut them to fit or if any one out there knows of any one with a captins choise 4" system for dirt cheap(haha) let me know.

MikDee

Banned

It's your boat, do what you want ;) I had 2 mercruisers I put thru-hull exhaust on, and never bothered to cap off the Y-pipe. I never had an issue with it either, using them In the Great South Bay L.I., but maybe I was lucky? realizing now the danger of it, I'd use pipe caps. You should be able to find clamp on rubber plumbers pipe caps, in 3" or 4" size, at H.D. or Loews, to put on there. Better yet, maybe you can take off your exhaust bellows outside, and find a cap to fit on the outside transom assembly, and glue, & clamp, it on there :D good luck, Mike

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Problem: You want to make a lot of noise, but, you don't want to spend too much money.

Solution: Go back to the track, make a recording of the afternoon. Buy a cheap used boom box, it doesn't even have to be marine rated, play the recording real loud. At least the boaters around you won't have to listen to the tinny sound of a V6 with open exhaust.

SPDFRK68

Cadet

Now that i have had the boat out i really want to put it back trough the transom I cant stand not being able to hear what is going on with the motor. Those who said that other boaters would not like it apperantly have never been to the chain o lake area were being heard may just save your life. So if there are any other suggestions out there on how to go about doing this that are constructive and not rude remarks and personal jabs at one experience with a boat i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanx

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer

had a 4.3 V6 Merc and now I have a 7.4 454 both with throught prop exhaust.

You can hear the motor just fine when your running on the lake so I dont know why you wanna hear the motor....You want to hear the exhaust is what you want. It does get annoying in no wake zones though. You dotn need to hear the exhaust to know if your engine is running right or not, thats what the gauges are for.

You need to pull the motor pull off / out the Y pipe and possibly change the transom plates. Im not sure if the through hull exhaust systems use a differant transom plate with out an exhaust exit or if they are the same with a blocking plate but that would be what you would want to do to do it like a stock merc w/ hull exhaust.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

do you have a good set of exhaust tips to run throug the transom? have to be very careful that they fit well and that you seal the holes carefully so you don't wet the transom.

In toers of the y pipe, go to Lowes, home depot, or whatever the local hardware store is and pick up a pair of rubber 4" pipe caps (I remember seeing them there the other day while working on something else. They're probably about 10 a pair. slip them over the top of the y-pipes. This way uif you want to go back to through the prop later - even if it's to sell the boat, you can. note that you can probably pick up a good it of acceleration from a stop by leaving the exhaust through the prop and running a vented prop.

Would also be nice if you had a pair of tips with mufflers... 4" straight out the back can be LOUD... as in open header, annoying to the point you can't talk... and decent performance marine mufflers don't make it anywhere near quiet (with a typical set in last year, friends could hear ma over 2 miles away across the river when I was riunning flat out). The other thing you need is flappers on the outside of the transom or internal ones in the tips or run of piping between the risers and the transom. trhese are important to keep from getting water back up the pipes into the engine and runing it.

Hope this is helpful