1958 Johnson Super seahorse 35 hp. timing question

Wetfuzz

Recruit
I figured I would talk to the, what I refer to as masters to my wife (you guys), about setting the timing on my 1958 Johnson Super Seahorse 35 hp. Model # RDS-20. I have been reading your postings in the forums and have gained alot of knowledge from your information given to others. I recently replaced the spark plug wires on this engine and I just want to ensure after it is put together I have the timing set properly. Would you please give me some insight into doing this properly? I do appreciate any and all help. Thank you.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1958 Johnson Super seahorse 35 hp. timing question

The timing on small omc engines is controlled through the setting of the points.all points since time immemerable on omc engines is .020 and plug gap is .030.plugs should be champion j4j.max rpm 4500 at wot.

coolguy147

Commander

well there is no needed maintenece on the timing just cleaning off the oil. if u havent move it or touched it in any way and made sure u torqued the flywheel down everytime u ran the motor. should be fine. u will know if timing is off it backfires. 180 degress backwards. or it will not start

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

There is no timing adjustment, as long as you put the flywheel back on correctly...woodruff key in the crankslot and flywheel slot lined up with the key, right? Torque the flywheel nut to specs, right? If you did all that right, the only way you can over-ride the fixed timing is put the plug wires on backwards...one of them should have a little band/bracelet with TOP on it.

Wetfuzz

Recruit

Good to know. Thank you very much for the help. I didn't know if I was going to mess any timing up by the maintenance I was doing or not. I marked everything that was removed from the in correlation to #1 cyl. or #2 cyl. I did purchase a manual so I will have the proper torque setting for the nut that holds the flywheel, and I will ensure that the woodruff key finds it's slot. Thank you again!