tilt/trim motor only goes one way

Hi - just installed a new 2 wire tilt motor on a 96 Mariner 40hp. Seems to work like a charm - except it only goes one way, or rather only goes one way at a time. If I reverse the green blue wire connections (ie change polarity) I can make the motor go up, change the wires to make it go down, but not up and down on the same connection. Also it tends to want to keep going with no shutoff (until I disconnect the (power) wires. If it is a relay problem why does it work both ways depenfing on the polarity? I'm not real good with electrics so excuse me if this is a stupid question or an obvious solution. Thanks.

Fish

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: tilt/trim motor only goes one way

Two wire trim motors have two relays which switch polarity to make the motor spin in both directions. It sounds like one of your relays is bad.

+12VDC Power is supposed to be on blue/white wire for up and green/white wire for down. Trace the wires to the relays and replace the bad one.

Thanks Chris. Some other research leads me to the same conlcusion. Have the part on order and will post back when installed and (hopefully) all is working.

Ended up replacing both relays before it worked. No luck replacing broken relay - out of frustration bought another and popped it in and voila! FOW