water in trim / tilt reservoir

Finally got my 1987 Hurricane deckboat with Mercruiser 180 engine running good and thought to check my trim tilt reservoir....fluid is milky and probably need to replace it as it had previously been under water. Trim tilt still works but would like to change hydraulic fluid....Whats the best way to do this ?

jaxnjil

Lieutenant
Re: water in trim / tilt reservoir

i cant say if its the best way or not but this is how i changed the fluid in mine

used the pump for changing motor oil. found that the thread is the same as garden hose. put a short piece of garden hose with a male end on it.
i sucked as much fluid out as i could and refilled. i cycled the drive a few times and repeated the process 3 times and quit when cycling didn't produce dirty oil.

you could do the same pluse remove one end of the hoses on the trim cylinders. with the hoses off you would lift and lower the drive by hand there by emptying them.

then refill and bleed cylinders. this would save the cycling but to my mind would be messier in the long run

Thanks r the feedback...I was kind of thinkin of suckin it out some kinda way so your idea seem great to me....what kind of fluid did you use to replace it ?:p

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a ram seal fail in my VP a coupe years back and used engine oil vacuum to drain as much as reservoir as i could, refilled with cheap ATF, cycled trim and repeated. Did this many times until the oil stayed clean.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

mercury precision lubricants
power trim & steering fluid

it cost $7.50 a quart and took me 3 quarts by the time i flushed it as stated above