Almost sank my boat at the dock this morning

waynehol

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 16 ft cobia CC with a Johnson 90 on it tied to my dock.
It rained really hard last. I have a bilge pump with an automatic float installed and it's pretty new. I looked at the boat and it looked a little low in the water so I went to investigate. Sure enough, there was a LOT of water in the stern of the boat. I checked the switch and it was in the right position but pump was not on. The water was only about 2 inches of coming over the transom (with me in the stern). I didnt want to go too far back at this point to investigate the float switch so I started bailing. When I gained about an inch (still raining very hard) I reached down to check the float. It felt like it was up (in the "on" position). I pushed it down and let it come back up and the pump came on. I continued to bail and got all the water out. I watched the boat carfefully for about an hour and the auto switch seemed to be working. Not sure if there was a wire or something holding it down. Anyway, I'm off to purchase a new pump with an internal float today.

Whew, not a fun way to start the day!

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Almost sank my boat at the dock this morning

hmm i'm just about to put one of those switches into my boat...

Maclin

Admiral

Glad you caught it in time! If it had been an I/O you would have had some engine parts like starter and alternator (anything electrical really) to worry about.

I just re-wired my bilge pump to be able to turn the pump on manually as well as it having power from the battery thru the float switch. That way I can hit it from the dash anytime I need to over-ride the float switch. I tested my setup in a small swimming pool before I put it all in the boat, I am kind of paranoid like that. I have to see stuff like that working more than once before I can relax!

Have fun this summer :)

waynehol

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm paranoid about that kind of thing as well. I have a 2 way switch so I can go manual, off or on, where on is connected to the float switch.

I tested my set up on a trailer by filling water into the bilge to see it work. I repeated the test in the water on the dock to make sure the different angle didnt affect anything.

That is why I am doubly nervous now. I thought I took every precaution and I thought the only thing I had to worry about was leaving the switch in the off position instead of the on (float) position.

Now the next few times it rains hard I'm going to be a nervous wrect again.!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

A CC without a self bailing cockpit?:confused:

waynehol

Petty Officer 3rd Class

A CC without a self bailing cockpit?:confused:

It is a small (16ft) flats type boat with a low freeboard. No self bailing deck.
Oh, when I say CC I mean "Center Console" do you mean "Cabin Cruiser"? I never really thought about that before:rolleyes:

Nandy

Commander

NO mater what, anything can fail guys... Insurance, I learned my lesson.

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

thats one on the main reasons i put a second bilge pump in, for the just incase. both are on switches and floats wired direct to different batteries.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

It is a small (16ft) flats type boat with a low freeboard. No self bailing deck.
Oh, when I say CC I mean "Center Console" do you mean "Cabin Cruiser"? I never really thought about that before:rolleyes:

Ok, I've never seen a flat's type, center console wiithout a self bailing cockpit. :D

rosieduran

Recruit

I have a 16 ft cobia CC with a Johnson 90 on it tied to my dock.
It rained really hard last. I have a bilge pump with an automatic float installed and it's pretty new. I looked at the boat and it looked a little low in the water so I went to investigate. Sure enough, there was a LOT of water in the stern of the boat. I checked the switch and it was in the right position but pump was not on. The water was only about 2 inches of coming over the transom (with me in the stern). I didnt want to go too far back at this point to investigate the float switch so I started bailing. When I gained about an inch (still raining very hard) I reached down to check the float. It felt like it was up (in the "on" position). I pushed it down and let it come back up and the pump came on. I continued to bail and got all the water out. I watched the boat carfefully for about an hour and the auto switch seemed to be working. Not sure if there was a wire or something holding it down. Anyway, I'm off to purchase a new pump with an internal float today.

Whew, not a fun way to start the day!

I have a 1999 capri and I took it out to the lake and the boat was taking to much water. What do you think it could me.

Big Keepers

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can't stand float switches. They always fail. I also don't understand why anyone would hook up a bilge pump to a DPDT switch so that it can be turned on manually or put on automatic. It is a recipe for disaster. I use a pump with an auto float in it that cycles every two minutes. That wire is run directly to my battery switch and I have an inline fuse holder for that wire at the battery switch as well. Then I have an on/off switch at the dash so I can turn the pump on if needed. I trailer the boat so the wire only gets power when I turn the battery switch "on." At least if I were to take on water and not realize it the pump will turn on and alert me. My other two pumps are manual pumps that require me to use the dedicated switches at the dash. If I were to moor the boat then the automatic wire would simply be connected to the lug on the battery switch that mates up with the cable coming from the battery. Very easy to trouble shoot and very easy to install. No guess work needed.

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

Your self bailer isn't very good if you leave plugs in. I'd take the boat out fishing and when you stood in the stern it would take on a little water so I got in the habit of putting plugs in to keep my feet dry in winter. Well I also worked on charter boat and we would leave the same dock at daybreak. Twice during heavy downpours my wife walked down to the dock and saved the day by pulling the plugs I left in. This was a 16' side console mitchell custom king fishing boat with 3/4" 5' built in fish box (heavy boat).

Safe boating ya'll

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

Has anyone heard of or used one of these Water Witch bilge switches?

http://www.waterwitchinc.com/new/SiteElements/Pages/SecondaryPages/Products/BilgeSwitches.html

Here's some of their spiel: "submersible electronic bilge pump switches allow boat owners to forever rid themselves of the archaic outdated float switch. Instead of an unreliable and short-lived mechanical float switch, our electronic bilge switches have no moving parts and require no adjustments."

fabrimacator21

Petty Officer 1st Class

Man.... good thing that wasn't an I/O boat... you'd be draining the motor right now.

It's amazing how fast rain fills a boat up. I left mine uncovered for 1 night and it poured.... pulled the center hatch and I had at least 500 pounds of water in there. Good thing I installed a 2nd bilge to get it out.

Multiple bilges are a GOOD idea.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Glad you caught the problem and were wise enough to have a bailing bucket on board! Good deal.

jonesg

Admiral

after having a problem with a clogged pump I installed 2 new ones, one on a switch, the other wired direct to battery with no fuse, not gonna get sunk by a 50 cent fuse either.
bilge pumps have no fire history.

I puy the auto switch 6 inches above the pump, that prevents leaves from clogging the intake.

I think the solid state switches are better than the float type but can't afford one yet, might have to build one from ratshack parts.

waynehol

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Those are some great replies to my thread and I picked up quite a few great tips. Yesterday I purchased another pump to replace the set up I had, but now I think I will add it as a second pump with different wiring. Cant hurt.

As far as a self bailing hull, my boat simply doesnt have one. The only plug (except for the live well) is the low plug at the bottom of the bilge. All the water from the deck drains directly to the bilge.:(

southtexas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If your deck is not self-bailing, but its design allows, you could (pretty easily) add some scuppers to it?? You'd put some new holes in your boat, but they're above water line...

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I recommend a float switch seperate from the pump, but the float switch is contained in a box so that it will operate even if something falls on top of it. Doesn't take much for it to get blocked.
As for the switches that sense water, they are just as likely to fail as a float. Which in boating in salt water means very likely.
My 17' Key West is a flats boat basically and it drains through a floor drain into the bilge and then the bilge pump (supposedly) takes care of it. The freeboard is too low and the boat too small for it to use scuppers effectively; you'd ship too much water standing in the stern. But I carry a hand pump I can stick down in the bilge (remove the drain grate) for when the pump/float/battery fails. Which in boating in salt water means very likely.
I have the float wired through the battery but I also have manual for when the float fails. Which in boating in salt water means very likely.

It's scary when you think that the whole boat, could be many $1000, is dependant on the integrity of small plastic parts from China worth less than $20. In addition to your pumps, that's all your through-hull fittings, sea cocks, etc. I know I couldn't sleep if I had an I/O with that big gaping hole back there covered with inner tube rubber.