lower unit almost done!

120clown

Cadet
well i am almost done with my lower unit! all i have to do is mount the water pump in and put the lower unit back on then i can test her out!

but the reason for my post.. is i and not sure where the heck these pieces go.. i think they are for the water pump but am not sure... can anyone help? i sure hope they are for the water pump i realy dont want to take this apart again :(

shawn

boat080.jpg

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: lower unit almost done!

Looks like the bright shiny steel washer is the retainer that sits on top of the driveshaft where it is inserted into the crankshaft. The cupped side of it faces up. The rubber boot sits on top of the retainer. The retainer prevents the boot from slipping all the way down the shaft. See items 70 and 71 in the link below. Item 69 is the top of the driveshaft.

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury_parts/1258/150.cfm

Not sure about the dark washer. What kind of material is it made of? Metal, rubber?

120clown

Cadet

Looks like the bright shiny steel washer is the retainer that sits on top of the driveshaft where it is inserted into the crankshaft. The cupped side of it faces up. The rubber boot sits on top of the retainer. The retainer prevents the boot from slipping all the way down the shaft. See items 70 and 71 in the link below. Item 69 is the top of the driveshaft.

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury_parts/1258/150.cfm

Not sure about the dark washer. What kind of material is it made of? Metal, rubber?

it is a stiff rubber. like a stiff o ring..

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Hummm....I looked at the water pump kit break down for my 1988 125HP motor and I do not see any such rubber washer. I also looked at the lower end seal kit and didn't see it either.

120clown

Cadet

Hummm....I looked at the water pump kit break down for my 1988 125HP motor and I do not see any such rubber washer. I also looked at the lower end seal kit and didn't see it either.

i think i got it.. thank you! now my boat has forword neutral and reverse! i just hope i didnt screw up the timing when the lower unit locked up :( ive never done timing before

got it all together and put the muffs on everything seems to be working well so far.. going to back it in the docks later and let it run for a good half our idoling on the trailor to make sure nothing else goes wrong

120clown

Cadet

well somthing isnt right i think.. boat runs good drives good, shifts realy nice.. BUT just got it home ran it for about five min on the water.. pulled the lower plug to make sure no water was getting in the lower unit and my oil has some nice sparkles in it :( and its not a little bit either... GUR :mad:

no big chunks but lots of flakes.. i sprayed the lower unit out good when i had it apart... so i think its NEW shavings.

i had the upper bearing go out on it last time... ugh i dont know what to do..

mrwiggles2

Seaman

You could refill the LU and take it out again, then drain and see what you have. If it was me, I'd take a day off of work and drop the LU and find out what is going on inside. Sure you don't have any extra parts? When I did my LU seal kit and water pump kit, I had to put it back together twice once I realized that some large bolt was not holding the gears together. Do the gears turn freely? If they do, without knocking or clunking its probably ok. If its hard to turn, I'd take apart and slowly get it back together.