Drive shaft 1956 Johnson FD10L

Minnow00

Seaman Apprentice
My gearcase has started to leak so I pulled the lower unit to inspect the seals and check it over. I lifted the drive shaft about 1/2 inch to see if there were any wear on it. I didn't see any and pushed it back down in place and went to the SELOC manual. While reading it said not to remove the drive shaft of one would have to take the gearcase apart to reinsert the drive shaft into the pinion. Do I really need to do that? The shaft seemed to reinsert ok and it turns the propeller shaft. While turning the shaft and shifting there does seem to be quite a bit of play before the drive shaft turns the propeller shaft. I'm just a little uncertain because I have never had a gearcase apart and I have decided to wait until winter to reseal it so if I have any problems with the repair I won't miss any fishing time.:confused:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Drive shaft 1956 Johnson FD10L

You've inserted the driveshaft properly if the propshaft turns with it.

The free play, roughly 180? before the propshaft turns is normal. THat is the distance between the shifted dog and gear shifter lobes.

Bottom line......normal, don't be concerned about it.

Minnow00

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Joe, I'll put it back together and get back out on the lake tomorrow. I'm new to my old Johnson and this forum has been a godsend. Have a nice holiday weekend!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If that is what the Seloc says, it is incorrect---sort of. It is true that if you pull the shaft out of a 3 or 4hp, you can't get it back in unless you know how. And even then, you don't have to take the gearcase apart.

Bottom line, the shaft can be removed and reinserted in the FD models with no problem whatsoever.