2005 Mecury 25hp Bigfook 4 stroke need help

Greenjello

Seaman
Ok so I have a quick question and then am also open to advice.

My question is I want to do a pressure check on the cylinder can I just get one form autozone are the threads the same for the spark plugs?

My problem: I have a 05 Mercury 4 stroke 25hp. I have it set up right with the right prop so that at WOT it is at 5700. This is on a 15ft procraft bass boat its a 1980 fiberglass boat that was loaded lightly.

This last weekend on the lake while heading back to the ramp it seem to want to cut out and really would hesitate for a second and than pick back up. It did it a couple of times and would always go back to running ok. I did notice it did seem to be alittle low on power getting on plane but I just figured I didn't have it trimmed down. When in the no wake area it seemed to be ok during idle some times and at times idle alittle rougher than normal.

My concern was to just get it out of the water so not to do any damage to the motor if something was wrong. So far I have been told it sounds like water in the gas and that buying additive would help. I was told by someone that the water sits on top of gas so I figured I would drain my gas tank and see what I had. the first part of the gas I siphoned did look alittle milky but I pulled out 8 gallons and it looked ok. I have used stabil in the gas but someone told me seafoam(sp) is better and I should use that. I also checked the plugs they looked good. Oil is clean and is/ was at a good level. I put some gas in and ran it with the garden hose on it and it seem to be ok, I rev'd it and let rev high for about 20 sec and not cutting out.

I figure if there was something serious I would hear it/ see it right? I was just going to pressure check the 2 cylinders just to be safe but does anyone have any suggestions or recommedations? Thanks for any help

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2005 Mecury 25hp Bigfook 4 stroke need help

If it cuts out like you turned a switch you may be losing spark on one cylinder
you could get a spark checker and check that it has a good strong spark.
Unfortunately until it fails it may be difficult to pinpoint the problem.Should jump about 3/8 of an inch.