Johnson Super Seahorse 33 Electric no combustion- Need Help???

Hi, new to this forum, but having some issues with a Johnson Super Seahorse 33 electric that I've just picked up. It's not been run in 5 years, but was evidently serviced prior to being put in storage. Lump looks in good condition, seals all look intact to powerhead.

Firstly, here's what I've done to test: Hooked up fuel line with unleaded/ 2 stroke oil mix and dabbed oil into the cylinders. Connected the solenoid+starter motor to 12 volt car battery. The engine turns over perfectly, both pistons moving up and down fine. Removed spark plugs and can feel compression (air being forced out of mount points for spark plugs) when it's turned over. Good compression with sparks in- take some force to crank the engine with pull chord when sparks are in, but smooth without them in.

Secondly, tested the sparks with engine turning over. Get very good sparks off both spark plugs, tested on each spark lead.

If turned over for too long, fuel drips out of rear of carb. Removed fuel line from carb to test fuel pump and get good amount of fuel spat out of fuel line, so the fuel pump's working.

Took off and dis-mantled the carb. Fuel float in good condition and float stops fuel when it's full.

However, when I re-assemble and turn over engine, I don't get any combustion. I've removed the sparks and checked the cylinders for fuel content and can't smell any in there or on the spark plugs. The cylinders remain dry!.

I've sprayed easy start into the air intake to try and localise the fault, but even that doesn't reach the cylinders. Strange thing is that I swapped over the spark leads by accident and got a couple of backfires from the engine. Now I'm getting a little lost and before I crack open the seals on the pwerhead, I wanted to know if anyone's had a similar experience or knows their way around these lumps- just need some suggestions.

Cheers

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Johnson Super Seahorse 33 Electric no combustion- Need Help???

check your compression with a tester, not your finger. you probably need a carb cleaning and rebuild kit. most likely the jets are clogged and not letting fuel thru. use only premix fuel to spray into carbs, NO STARTER SPRAY.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I don't know whether your using a tester at all but I'll tell you about my stupid human trick I did last week. I would get compression then bleed off, next test no compression. This went on and on for about an hour. I was becoming a trouble shooting machine, then I found out that the hose for my gauge had rotted and had a pin hole in it.

Many thanks for your replies. However, none of the above are applicable. Managed to get fuel through to cylinders- and compression is most certainly fine. No wear on pistons. Fuel float is fine and fuel is running through. Sparks well and timing looks fine (using timng gun). Now fires after about 30 seconds of being turned over, but fires only once. What am I missing here?

Well, we checked the compression and we're getting 140 and 130 on top and bottom cylinder respectively. Re-built all the seals and looks good. However, we were getting the engine running on one cylinder only. removed the fly wheel and cleaned the points, checking that they were set at 20 thou. Now getting good spark and when re-assembled, starts first time and idles well, but the woodruff key had sheared clean through and I suspect that this had put the timing off in the first place- ie all the problem I'd had all along! Can anyone tell me the dims of the key so I can get a new one made up?!?!:eek:

lindy46

Captain

Go to a Johhnnyrude dealer and pick one up. I just got one at our local dealer on Satruday. Make sure you torque that flywheel down to 100-105ft.lbs. or it will shear again.