Virgin Boat Owner Needs Help

pootytang

Recruit
I recently purchased an 84 Wellcraft w/ a 4.3l Omc..It is my understanding that this was not the original motor.
Engine won't start. When I turn the key it sounds like the starter solenoid just spins.
I am a complete newby to boating but am mechanically inclined. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Virgin Boat Owner Needs Help

Ayuh,... So Pull the Starter,+ Inspect/ bench test it...

havasuboatman

Ensign

I recently purchased an 84 Wellcraft w/ a 4.3l Omc..It is my understanding that this was not the original motor.
Engine won't start. When I turn the key it sounds like the starter solenoid just spins.
I am a complete newby to boating but am mechanically inclined. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Uh, the starter solonoid doesn't spin. It just slides the starter moter gear into the flywheel gear. Sounds like yours ain't up to the task.
Follow Bondo's advice. Yank it, test it or have it tested.

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer

Are you hearing the starter spin or the solenoid kick in?

dontask

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BEFORE you pull the starter make sure you have fully charged battery, if not fully charged--- start at the battery issue first. Check that the battery has good clean connections to the solenoid, also.

pootytang

Recruit

Thanks you guys. I finally pulled the starter and found that the Aluminum housing was completely sheared off. I don't know what could have caused this but I did notice that the bolts were not on very tight. Defective starter? Bad install? I'll soon find out. Thanks again for the help!

Maclin

Admiral

Welcome to iboats! :)

I have to drop the other shoe now :(....that can happen to a starter if the engine or drive is siezed up hard and the battery and starter were pretty stout when someone tried to start it.

I am not saying this is your problem, but be ready to do some troubleshooting. You should remove all spark plugs and try to turn the engine manually, optionally squirt PB Blaster or Seafoam Deep Creep into the spark plug holes if you suspect it may have been this way for a while. If it will not budge then you will need to remove the drive and try manually again just to see if it is the engine or drive that is not turning.