Question about Buying Materials

rickou812

Seaman
I need to get at least 7 gallons of resin and other materials. Where is the most economical place to purchase.
I did search and see a lot of people seem to like uscomposits, but since I live in FL. I am going to get hit with 7.5% tax... plus shipping which is about $150.00
What are my options here?

Thanks
Rick

drewpster

Commander
Re: Question about Buying Materials

Since you are Florida, I would look locally. You can't be more than a couple hours drive from allot of boat builders. I cannot give you a specific recommendation, but I would try in Florida first. You may even try contacting a builder first who could recommend a supplier. If you are lucky, they will sell to you direct. If you are really lucky you will find one in the Florida yellow pages. Even though you can avoid paying local taxes by buying out fo state, shipping is always going to be high.

getusummm

Seaman

Give advanced plastics a call. But drewpster is right, check with your local boat yards and fiberglass repair shops. You will probably find everything you need for the same price as buying out of state and avoiding sales tax but paying shipping.

OV1961

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Find shops that sell resin in bulk and take your own gallon cans. They buy it by the drum at $50 a gallon and usually sell it for $70 or so. Plus you can find all the supplies and advice you need right there too ;)

rickou812

Seaman

Thanks for the replies. I was planning on checking around locally, but wanted to see if there was any internet secrets also :D.

Thanks again,
Rick

drewpster

Commander

Thanks for the replies. I was planning on checking around locally, but wanted to see if there was any internet secrets also :D.

Unfortunately there are none. I looked locally and had two choices. Either buy it from a Marine store or from a local company. The marine store was not an option. Even for "marine" they are over priced. The local company that makes baptismal tubs and they sell supplies to the public. I get mixing pots and the like from there but their fiberglass was overpriced and he could not identify the resin. When I asked if the resin would be good for marine use he said "Of course" (condescendingly) "there is no difference, resin is resin". Ok but no thanks. I would rather buy from someone else.
I looked all over the internet. You basically find two camps. The generic suppliers that could be selling me anything; or marine resin suppliers. The marine groups vary from very expensive to a little cheaper. I went with a little cheaper. They are also in my neck of the country which makes delivery time reasonable.
As far as fiberglass goes, it pays to shop around. I found CSM for example at a decent price but their woven roving was high. I bought my roving from one place and the CSM from the other.

jonesg

Admiral

you may want to check on those shipping charges,
sounds very very high to be right.

You can ask them to omit the Mekp to eliminate the hazmat charges, buy it local instead.

I would estimate 7 gals at $30 shipping....roughly.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Epoxy or Polyester resin?

What area of FL are you in?