1999 Johnson 130hp starter solenoid

Stelios

Cadet
Problem started suddenly

Starter gear spins, but does not rise up to engage flywheel. When help manually to flywheel, not enough juice to spin it.

Batteries charged, cables changed

Can jump a battery directly to starter contacts and works fine.

Have 13 volts going into solenoid when ignition key turned, have about 9 volts coming out and going to starter.

Do I need a new solenoid?

please email (EDIT emails not allowed. TD)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1999 Johnson 130hp starter solenoid

99% no, you need to clean your connections and check your cables for damage.

90% of starter problems are bad connections. remove and clean both ends of the battery cables, so that they are shiney, also the cable from the solenoid to starter. check for nicks in the cables. and make sure the connectors are on the wire good. the cable tend to corrode from the inside out, if nicked, corroded wires, and connections, heat up and cause resistance to the follow of electricity, thus the starter doesn't get enough. you can also take jumper cable pos battery post to large post on starter. with a good connection, the engine should spin. then if the starter is good clean everything and retest. then trouble shoot solenoid. starters can be rebuit at a starter/alternator shop, much cheaper than a new one.

also have the battery load tested at the auto parts store, free, i've had new batteries go bad

Stelios

Cadet

I've seen this reply before. Considering the problem occurred so abruptly, my thought was the solenoid.

Why would their be 13v going into the solenoid, then only 9v coming out? That wouldnt be a cable issue.????

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

missed that. i would try a solenoid. sorry.

Stelios

Cadet

many thanks will try tonight - this is a very good forum!

Stelios

Cadet

So, I feel like a dope, but I have a new solenoid.

Installed the solenoid, same problem as before.

Went back to really clean up the Neg. terminal at the battery.. Voila! Back to normal operation.

BUT.. now the boat runs at 4200rpm and about 25mph. Uusally max out 5500 rpm and about 35mph.

Could the new lack of performance have anything to do with installling the new solenoid?

What the heck have I done now ?

Stelios

Cadet

Help!

Could the new lack of performance have anything to do with installling the new solenoid?

What the heck have I done now ?