More Help! 85 Hp Evinrude 1969 w/ CD style Ignition

Schaefercal

Recruit
I need Ideas! I think i"ve read all the posts concerning these older style CD ignition systems and how to trouble shoot them. I do have a manual but am having problems in the fact that my issue is intermitent.
- 1968 85 hp Evinrude Model 85993 with the CD style ignition
The motor will start great, run forever at home at idle on the muffs. It will run for a while on the water but after 2-4 mins of running at power the motor shuts down like someone turned off the key. No coughing, sputtering or other, just shuts down and will not restart. I tested for spark when it shuts down on the water and have no spark at plugs or coil. Usually after an varying amount of time the motor will start again and run for a minute more before shutting down again. Coil? Amp? Would the amp be intermittent like that???

Any help would be great!
Thanks

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: More Help! 85 Hp Evinrude 1969 w/ CD style Ignition

Unfortunately you've described an intermitently flawed pulsepack. This requires replacing the pack.

This type failure is normally brought on by using a battery with less than a 70 amp hour rating, wires and/or cables not tightened securely, anything that would result in low voltage being supplied to the pulsepack.

Schaefercal

Recruit

I recently bought the boat and the previous owner didn't use it all last season. Would setting for a long time contribute to the problem? The battery checked good under load so would a new amp and cleaning all the battery connections fix the problem? The motor does seem to load up on the starter.
Thanks Again

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

If the battery is a top notch battery and at least a 70 amp hour battery, a new amplifier, and cleaning all cable/wiring connections should cure the problem.

What do you mean by "The motor does seem to load up on the starter"?

Schaefercal

Recruit

The battery is 675 cranking Amps, but the starter seems to have trouble overcoming the initial compression. Once it starts to spin, it cranks fast and starts. I thought that may be a cable or connection issue.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Would the battery connection's have wing nuts' by chance? Put on finger tight?