fuel-H2O problem or worse?

tfzon

Recruit
Have a 1995 5.0L OMC i/o and am pretty much stuck with 10% ehtanol fuel locally. Have been religiously using Stabil (marine, for ethanol) each time I fill up and overwinter. Last time out was cruising at 80% FOT when the engine sputtered (thought I caught a patch of milfoil in the prop), regained and then stalled about 10 seconds later. Fully warmed up, had gone about 4 miles by that point. Checked everything under the hood - nothing loose, prop clear, belts all accounted for, no leaks. Expected it not to start, but it fired right back up and we started heading back towards port. Ran fine for a while, but repeated this three times in the trip back. First thought was bad fuel and/or water in tank. But it started right back up each time. Now wondering if it's fuel pump getting ready to go or something electrical. About to pull/replace the fuel filter and put some fuel treatment in the tank (the stuff that's supposed to break up the gunk and disperse the water so you can "burn" it off). The guys in my boat club are advising putting SeaFoam in the tank, in the carb, and throttlebody. Thoughts?

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: fuel-H2O problem or worse?

Check your starter, start assist and ignition circuit connections. Take them all off, make sure they're clean and tight.