Is this normal? Hard to start when hot!

Bilgamesh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am new to boating, having recently bought a '98 model 17' Regal 3.0L I/O. I have posted a couple times regarding hard starting, but as I have continued to research, I may be complaining about something the average boater accepts as perfectly normal. What changed my mind was a review of a NEW boat similar to mine, in which the reviewer stated,

"Although most carbureted engines are hard to start and usually require that special touch only owners develop over time, this entry level engine has the Turn Key Start (TKS) system that doesn?t require the driver to do anything but turn the key".

When I go to start my motor, I have to give it some throttle, then back it off into neutral to idle. Later, when I turn it off to drop somebody in the water, I have been expecting it would start back up without going through this routine. Instead, if I leave it in neutral, and try to start it, the motor just cranks without turning over. To get it started, I always have to give it throttle, but it does always start reliably. Is this normal? The article seems to suggest it is. If so, I will be happy to learn my boat is fine, and this is to be expected. On the other hand if I really need a new carb or kit, I would like to have a realistic outlook about that. I would appreciate any thoughts.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Is this normal?

I would suggest a full tune up. It just may have some clogged carb passages or a weak plug wire....... Since it is "new" to you I would suspect all you have is a verbal history about the boat. You need to convert verbal maintenance to real maintenance. ;)

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would suggest a full tune up. It just may have some clogged carb passages or a weak plug wire....... Since it is "new" to you I would suspect all you have is a verbal history about the boat. You need to convert verbal maintenance to real maintenance. ;)

I agree 100% but would add that with a '98 it should start every time after it is warmed up. Really, it should start cold too. Makes me think maybe an electric choke problem could also be the culpret.:rolleyes:

CATransplant

Admiral

I agree with the previous post. Have a look at the choke. Obviously it has some sort of automatic choke system, either electric or something else. It sounds like the choke may not be opening fully when warm, and that can certainly make for hard starts when warmed up.

That'd be my first thing to check. From there, other carb problems could be the culprit.

Bilgamesh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies. I gather the article exaggerates the incidence of "holding your tongue just right".

This carburetor does have an electric choke. Is there an effective way to check the operation of it other than to visually inspect it while I am trying to start it?

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the replies. I gather the article exaggerates the incidence of "holding your tongue just right".

This carburetor does have an electric choke. Is there an effective way to check the operation of it other than to visually inspect it while I am trying to start it?

Mines the same y a little bit of choke and its good to go.

Bilgamesh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I noticed today while troubleshooting that fuel continues to drip inside the card after shut-off. It seems like this may be flooding the engine and making it harder to start when warm. If this is true, why does giving it throttle make it go ahead and start, since this presumably introduces more fuel. I would appreciate any insight.

At this point I will likely undertake the unhappy job of rebuilding the carb unless somebody with expertise thinks I am on the wrong track.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Is this normal? Hard to start when hot!

Throttle up also gives it some much needed air to add fuel to that fire with that said my point set equipped 77 starts right up hot no throttle and idles very low, about 500. The straight six shakes a piece at that low of a rev but it starts like fuel injection.
Ice cold been sitting for 2 days or 2 weeks just give the throttle a couple of pumps and set the revs for a higher cold idle/warm up speed and it lights right off. TKS. :rolleyes:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If the carb is dribbling fuel after shut off you are experiending "percolation" or fuel boiling. Before you shut off an inboard or an I/O engine, let it idle for a minimum of two minutes, especially after a long run at fairly high speeds. When you shut off an engine under those conditions, the temperature continues to rise for a period of time, often enough to percolate the fuel. Allowing an idle period allows the engine temp to stabilize. To check the choke, before you start the engine on the first run of the day, remove the flame arrestor and pump the throttle once. The choke plate should close fully on a stone cold engine. On a very hot day it may remain open just a tad. Then start the engine as you normally do. Watch the choke plate. When the engine is fully warmed the plate should be standing vertically. DO NOT adjust a choke on a warm engine.

Bilgamesh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The dripping I have is happening even when on the muffs, at idle, just after warmup, i.e. not even having been run at WOT.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You have a leaky needle valve.

Bilgamesh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It rained on Sunday, so I decided to pull out the carb and rebuild. In anticipation, I had bought a kit on ebay earlier in the week, for half the price it was available locally.

Using manual #26, I tore it down and noticed I was missing the Accelerator Pump Return Spring. I searched high and low for a suitable spring, and finally found one Monday afternoon on a chair caster. My other option was to buy a new accelerator pump kit for $60 when I only needed the spring.

I was unable to remove one of the metering jets, it was seized, so I just left it in place and moved on. The float was also quite out of adjustment at both ends. I reassembled everything, and reinstalled this evening after work.

The motor fired right up, is no longer dripping gas from the venturi after shut down, and re-starts right up every time.

Thanks for all the feedback.

CHEVYJEFF

Seaman Apprentice

I think its more common now that most fuel has ethanol in it. Especially in hot climates like DFW

My 5.7 mercruiser is the same way when its hot. I have to give it full throttle and pull back once it fires. The ethanol in the carb percolates at a lower temp then the non-ethanol gas thus flooding the engine when sitting.

I have rebuilt the mer-carb and done a full tune up and still have to start it this way. I could probaly lean out the carb buy adjusting the float but Its better to run a little rich than lean out a cylinder.

I have the same issues on my holley 830hp carb that is on my supercharged 383 in my hot rod. Fuel percolates when its hot

I also noticed the "hard start when hot" appeared at then same time they intorduced the ethanol into the gas around here.