Yamaha question?

dream catcher

Recruit
I have a 2002, 225 2 stroke yamaha. At least once a year, the engine starts running like **** and I have to take it to my mechanic. It is always the same thing, he tells me the ethanol in the gas is clogging the filters. He thinks the tank might have so much of it in there that it just keeps causing the problem. He recommended either replacing the gas tank or trying to have someone clean it. I definately do no want to rip the deck up to replace the tank. Has anyone ever had the tank cleaned to get old gas and ethanol out? Or does anyone else have any suggestions or advice?

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Yamaha question?

if you can drain the tank and/or flush it out with a solvent to really clean it then you may be O.K. my brother-in-law's 115 Yamaha 4 stroke with 60 gallon under-deck tanks got water in them and they did have to cut the deck and replace the tanks, after spending thousands$ on new injectors, filters, etc., not to mention the pain of having your weekends/fishing repeatedly screwed up by this problem. one thing for sure, any tanks need to have good drains built into them so you can clean them out. and the use of a fuel stabilizer like Stabil or Seafoam is really necessary. I personally think that the heavy duty plastic tanks are the best way to go because aluminum will corrode thru and who can afford stainless steel. Good Luck!

ttownguy

Seaman Apprentice

Install a fuel/water filter/separator, and check/replace your filters often. You can also run non-ethanol fuel ($0.10 per gallon more expensive typically). Also, use a fuel treatment. Depending on the application, Stabil, Ring Free and others are recommended. You should be able to remove your fuel quantity sender and peek inside an empty tank to see if it looks nasty.

dream catcher

Recruit

Install a fuel/water filter/separator, and check/replace your filters often. You can also run non-ethanol fuel ($0.10 per gallon more expensive typically). Also, use a fuel treatment. Depending on the application, Stabil, Ring Free and others are recommended. You should be able to remove your fuel quantity sender and peek inside an empty tank to see if it looks nasty.

Definately no ethanol-free gas left out here, hasn't been for a while. I have a fuel/water seperator which I just replaced in May. I also use Yamaha ring free additive and just started using Startron to see if that helps. This is the frustrating part, everyone tells me the same thing and I am already doing these things. Thanks for your suggestions though.

robert graham

Admiral

Sta-Bil makes a new marine product at Walmart for $20/quart to take care of the water/ethanol. I have the Walmart water/fuel seperator and every month or so, i just unscrew it and dump it onto a white rag, just to see what's there, then just screw it back on or replace it with a new one. check the fuel filter on the motor also, just to be sure nothing got past the fuel/water seperator. My motor has 3 carbs and I drain each one from time to time with the 10MM brass hex plug on the float bowls. you just have to stay on top of this water/fuel/ethanol issue or it'll screw up a lot of good water/fishing time. good Luck!

amasi

Cadet

what do you mean by "start running like****"can you explain that detail?