6 hp Evinrude problem

Barfly42

Cadet
I've got a '78 6 hp Evinrude that just stopped running. I had the fuel pump replaced, went out fishing for a couple of hours, and coming across the lake at a slow troll it just stopped. Always started on the first pull before and now it won't start at all.
Any suggestions on where I can start to troubleshoot this problem?
Thanks,
Richard

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: 6 hp Evinrude problem

Is the fuel bulb flat ?? is the tank vented correctly ?? is there still fuel in the tank ??
Beyond that start with the basic health check. Compression, spark, fuel flow and spark plug condition.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Start by checking for sparks. If no sparks then look more closely at ignition system.
It's a CDI system so most likely problem if no spark at either plug is failure of the powerpack assy. or a connection come off or the kill button shorting.

If sparks ar Ok and plugs are good clean and correctly gapped (0.030") Look at the fuel system.

Does it show any sign of life if fuel mixture is sprayed into the carb throat?

Obvious thing to take a look at is the fuel pump as that was the last thing touched but if primed with the ball it should start and run for a few minutes and it should be possible to keep it running by pumping the ball.

Had a power pack fail on a nearly new 6hp once. Just suddenly stopped and was absolutely dead. My money would be on that. BUT check all connections and the kill button.

Barfly42

Cadet

Just checked and I have spark at either plug. All connections seem to be fine so it may be the power pack? Any idea how difficult or how expensive that is to repair?
Thanks again,
Richard

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if it were powerpack you would not have spark.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Take the drain plug out of the carburetor bowl and see if it is full.Then squeeze the bulb a few times to flush the bowl and check if the valve is stuck.

When you rebuild the carburetor, make sure that the float arm and the float valve needle are hooked together with the metal clip.

Attachments

• Float Valve Clip 2.JPG
    Float Valve Clip 2.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 0

Barfly42

Cadet

Sorry...a bad case of my brain working faster than my fingers can type. I have NO spark at either plug.
Oops,
Richard

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

make sure that the float arm and the float valve needle are hooked together with the metal clip.

Not hooked together on a 78 model unless done as a mod during later servicing as far as i can see.

Power pack is about $96 from shop.evinrude.com but third party makes should be a bit less expensive.

double check all connection and the kill switch before parting with the $$ though. Maybe get it checked by a dealer. Be worth it if it saves the cost of a PP.

Possible that it could be something else. Stator coil or even sensor coil. could at least check those two for continuity i suppose

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The clips were added and along with the modified valve needles to hold them as early as 1975 on some models because the needles would stick.

With the clip, the weight of the float pulls the needle down as it drops, making the system much better. All of the OEM repair kits have the clips on all models.

You can purchase the valve assembly with the clip and updated needle from dealers, part# 396522. Sierra also sells a valve kit as part number 18-7094.

The carburetor repair kits all come with the same parts.

Last edited:

Barfly42

Cadet

Is replacing the power pack something I can do or do I need to take the motor to a repair shop?
Thanks,
Richard

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Should be easy enough to change. One ground lead two plug connectors and two fixing screws. Look at it and make your own judgement.

But dont want you spending that much without a realy rock solid diagnosis of the trouble.

Barfly42

Cadet

Okay, I decided to try and tackle this job myself, so...I disconnected the kill switch and checked for spark. No spark from either spark plug. This should tell me that the problem is not the kill switch, correct???
So I took off the power pack. It looks fine, but what the hell do I know? Is there a way to test the power pack?
Richard

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

So I took off the power pack. It looks fine, but what the hell do I know?
Quite. That's the trouble. You can take a chance and buy a new one. If you're lucky you'll have solved your problem. If not then you have wasted your money ($48.59 for a Sierra one).