Oil from transom drain plug

crisopher

Cadet
I am fairly new to boating and am wondering if it is normal to have oil or oil like substance coming out of drain plug hole after pulling the drain plug. My boat only has 24 hrs on it and is 1 year old. Is this normal?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Oil from transom drain plug

i assume it is an inboard outboard. you will get an little residue, but i would check for leaks.

crisopher

Cadet

Thank you...yes it is an inboard outboard. I stuck my head and looked underneath the engine and there was nothing visible. I will look again more closely though..and thanks again

calvinman

Seaman

Hi Crisopher,

Try runnung your hand underneath the engine to see if there is any oil coming from the front seal or oil pan, my boat was only 2 years old and the timing chain cover cracked, got it replaced under waranty. It could just be residual oil from an oil change though.

Calvi

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you see oil out the drain, you had best be checking the dipstick on the engine to make sure that oil level is where it should be. You should do that every trip anyway as a matter of practice. Your boat also has an oil pressure gauge! It is not an "oil level" gauge so don't rely on it to tell you when you need to add oil. If you do you are in for an expensive surprise.

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

I am fairly new to boating and am wondering if it is normal to have oil or oil like substance coming out of drain plug hole after pulling the drain plug. My boat only has 24 hrs on it and is 1 year old. Is this normal?

I have the same problem the end of the drain plug is like dirty with a oil or somthing slimy on it. When the water drains out it doesnt look dirty but when its in the transom looks poluted a little but maybe since it old its a 1989. I check the only almost every time but it always right where it should be. But I have only have it out about 8 times. New boat owner too. Im going to post and see what the my problem might be or if its common and ill let you know dont want to hi jack yours.