Help! Mercruiser 5.7 need assembly drawings/pics

arne k

Cadet
I have a 1997 Mercruiser 5.7LX that I purchased as a basket case. The previous owner had torn the motor down far enough to diagnose that the block was ruined. So, I have rebuilt a shortblock and am assembling the motor. It's time to put the intake on and I have to figure out which bolts go where. Some of the bolts are a "piggy back" style with a stud for accessories to be attached on top. Also, this motor has a lot of different stuff on top of it than the 31 year old unit it's replacing. I have a repair manual and I have searched the internet but can't find any detailed pictures. I am hoping someone can direct me to a drawing of the configuration of components on one of these motors or who might have one in their boat and could take some hi-res photos for me. I'm sure any mid 90's, pre-Vortec, Mercruiser V8 would be similar. Thanks in advance.

arne k

Cadet
Re: Help! Mercruiser 5.7 need assembly drawings/pics

Can anyone please take some pics of the intake on their mid 90's merc v8 from a few angles?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

The only place I`ve seen the studs are the last 2 holes for the intake, last 2 stbd side .Usually for the main harness plug bracket.Install the lifting bracket with the studs and then the wiring bracket with the 2 nuts.

arne k

Cadet

The only place I`ve seen the studs are the last 2 holes for the intake, last 2 stbd side .Usually for the main harness plug bracket.Install the lifting bracket with the studs and then the wiring bracket with the 2 nuts.

Thank you! That's a good start.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

I`m actually assembling one now, can post some pic when it`s done if you need them

arne k

Cadet

I`m actually assembling one now, can post some pic when it`s done if you need them

I'd really appreciate that! Knowing where to put the last two bolts is a big step in the right direction because I can go ahead and torque the manifold down and not worry about having to start over to move a bolt or two. Thanks again. Arne

arne k

Cadet

Can anyone out there take a photo or two of the top of their mid 90's V8 Mercruiser? I need to figure out where the various brackets go and the wiring etc is arranged. I'm hoping to work on it this weekend.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Look at any of the many online parts suppliers for detailed exploded views.
Parts manuals show how it goes together.

arne k

Cadet

Look at any of the many online parts suppliers for detailed exploded views.
Parts manuals show how it goes together.

Actually, I already have a Seloc manual and I looked through the factory service manual. They show great blow-ups of individual components, such as the shift linkage, but they don't show where all of this stuff is located on the motor. There are brackets, wiring and hose hold downs, routing of wiring and hoses, etc, that these books don't show. I'm sure I can figure it out by trial and error but I think a couple of photos would save a lot of frustration.

45Auto

Commander

I just bought a boat last weekend that has a 1997 5.7 LX. I'm going over there tonight, I'll try to remember to take some pics. It'll be sometimes tomorrow at the earliest before I can post them.

arne k

Cadet

I just bought a boat last weekend that has a 1997 5.7 LX. I'm going over there tonight, I'll try to remember to take some pics. It'll be sometimes tomorrow at the earliest before I can post them.

Woo-hoo! Thank you!

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer

i have a 96 5.7L 2bbl. it is a 2bbl, but i am in nags head and will be home sat, i will take some pics and post them sat night. i do have long studs on the carb that hold alot of the breakers and electronics.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

I already have a Seloc manual and I looked through the factory service manual

A parts manual isn't a Seloc manual, IT'S A PARTS MANUAL, get it?
My condolences on being the owner of a Seloc manual.

arne k

Cadet

A parts manual isn't a Seloc manual, IT'S A PARTS MANUAL, get it?
My condolences on being the owner of a Seloc manual.

Wow! I must appear even dumber in writing than in person. The most common drawings online are the parts manual drawings. mercruiserparts.com, etc.
I'm glad he's not a prominent representative of this group.

45Auto

Commander

This is a 97 350 LX. It's the port engine of a twin engine boat so it's missing the power steering pump. Only thing not on it in the pics is the Thunderbolt V ignition module that bolts to the front of the distributer. Let me know if you need better pics of anything.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v682/46auto/1997 350LX/

arne k

Cadet

This is a 97 350 LX. It's the port engine of a twin engine boat so it's missing the power steering pump. Only thing not on it in the pics is the Thunderbolt V ignition module that bolts to the front of the distributer. Let me know if you need better pics of anything.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v682/46auto/1997 350LX/
Thank you! Those boxes of parts I have makes it seem more difficult than the pics look. I guess part of it is that mine has FWC. I really appreciate it!

arne k

Cadet

I"m getting the puzzle together, slowly. Those photos really helped.

DSCF4662.jpg

DSCF4683.jpg

DSCF4720.jpg

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer

motor looks good, how hard was it pulling it out of the boat?

arne k

Cadet

motor looks good, how hard was it pulling it out of the boat?

It wasn't hard at all, once I built a crane to do it :):
DSCF4506.jpg

By the way, I designed the shop with a wall height that would allow a door opening just high enough to allow the boat to be backed in.

arne k

Cadet

Just thought I'd update. It's about time to move on to installing the transom assembly.

DSCF4872.jpg

DSCF4874.jpg