Frank, New Engine, New Trouble. Force 125hp

jbwillis76

Seaman Apprentice
Hey Frank (or anyone that wants to weigh in),

This may be long so bear with me.

Boat is a 1987 16" VIP Fish/ski that I think dry weight is around 1000. Its a small boat. I've had my 1986 85 Force on it and running good. The 85 had a stainless/cupped 13x19 prop when I got it but it would only max out at 4400 or so RPMs. Switched to a 13x17 stainless/cupped and it put it right at 5500 where it should be, 38mph GPS.

Well this weekend I came across a steal on a boat. '89 Bayliner Capri 19.5" with an '89 125 Force on it for $500. Took the 125 off the Bayliner and put it on my VIP. (Have no use for the Bayliner).

Now I figured that the larger engine would EASILY turn the 19 pitch prop that my 85hp wouldn't, especially on this small boat. I get her running and take her out today. Idles fine but is sluggish to get on plane and max RPM is 4600-4800. Now something just ain't right, this motor should turn that 19 pitch prop no problem, and it shouldn't be sluggish. Heck my 85 seemed peppier than this one.

Compression is 140 on all 4 cylinders.
Spark is great, using a spark gap tester.
I just removed and cleaned the carbs just in case. Didn't seem dirty.
Set cranking WOT timing to 30 btdc
Plugs all look good, not water in cylinder. :)

I think it's overheating. I have no buzzer but WOT it would slowly seem to lose power, not much but noticeable. Eased it back to dock and it died and would not stay running if I put it in gear. Head and motor was hot. I installed a Tell Tale before taking it out and in the water it seemed to sometimes be intermittant and not squirting as much as I think it should. Pulled the lower and am going to replace the impeller. Flushed all passages to make sure nothing was clogged. Thermostat works.

Frank, wouldn't you think this thing should turn the 19 pitch prop and be snappier than the 85? On the muffs this thing is super peppy and much more responsive than the 85, but not in the water. Would it overheating make it sluggish?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks, James

jbwillis76

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Frank, New Engine, New Trouble. Force 125hp

OK, I started messing with it and started from scratch doing a link & sync by the book. Things were a little off. When I got this motor the plastic piece on the timing adjustment linkage was broken and held on by a zip tie. I milled one out of aluminum but apparently installed it upside down which allowed it to hit the motor before completely opening. After now being able to do a correct link & sync I set the timing at 28*BTDC per the manuals instructions.

This thing sounds real healthy here on muffs, the short time I ran it. Still waiting on a new impeller before I can take her to the lake.

I will let everyone know, but I'm betting this thing running right will spin the mess out of that 19 pitch prop on this light boat and put me close to 50mph. At least that's what I'm hoping for anyways.

I'd still like your opinion on prop choice Frank. Thanks for taking the time, James