Alarm will not stop

Earnie

Cadet
I have a 2006 Mercruiser/Cummins Diesel in a Trophy 2052, it has the MERCRUISER1.7 MI 120 hp.
I recently changed the fuel filter to try to stop an alarm condition. I had checked all the fluid levels and found none to be out of line.
I kept at it and found there is an alarm for fuel contamination. I found water in the fuel/water separator, changed the filter and drained the water off. I checked it again and there is no water accumulation. The problem now is the alarm will not stop. After I start it and the oil pressure goes up it stays on. I have verified all the fluid levels and purged the water from the fuel water separator. Are there any alarm conditions I could be missing? Is there still a potential fuel issue? If anyone knows the alarm conditions that may help. If you know how to reset the alarms that may help as well.

flargin

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Alarm will not stop

I have a much older unit(89 Bravo 1 7.4l), and it has 3 alarms:
Oil Pressure
Water Temp
Trim Oil Level.

All of the wires are connected to Tan/Blue.

How the alarms work is to short to ground when they want to alarm. What you can do is find each one and pull it from the sending unit. If it stops, that is the one triggering the alarm. You can figure out what is up from there.

Earnie

Cadet

All,
Two things I did today.
I pressed the red reset button on the engine.
And I pumped up the fuel till the pump was hard to press.
It worked for now. Friday I will give it a check out run.

Earnie

Cadet

Ok,
I took the boat out yesterrday. The alarm started softly then got louder.
I have noticed it does not sound when I am trolling or slow speed runnung. It seems to start about 2000 rpm. It will stay on for a while then stop.
We also noticed it starts when the boat starts to rise before it goes on plane.
A friend was with me and he said maybe its the fuel contamonation issue. I checked the fulel seperator this morning and it had a little water in it but not much. Maybe a 1/2 teaspoon.
The only plan I have at this point is to remove the fuel and replace it.
I dont know what else to do.
All fluid levels are good all gauges read normal.
Anybody?

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

"fuel bulb" is this an outdrive? if so, the outdrive forum would be better help, this is for Inboards & I/O's

I would look into your impeller, if it gets hot at run, but not at idle, impellers are pretty common, or a blockage in the water line (which may be part of a blown impeller)

Earnie

Cadet

So I ordered a Cummins repair manual for my boat. And low and behold there is another fuel and water separator/filter on the engine. I just drained it and there was water in it. I will test drive as soon as I can to verify the problem is solved.
So to recap from my original post, when I pumped the fuel primer that is what made it stop for a short time.
Apparently diesels have a fuel contamiination sensor and that is what was happening.

More later.

Earnie

Cadet

I finally figured it out! It is a connection on the back of the engine.
I had a friend come out with me to see if we could find out what the issue was and he found it in about 4 minutes. Wiggled some wires and viola.
The plug in connectors were dissimilar metals and have been replaced.
I love my boat again but I am not so sure about Bayliner/Trophy now.