1964 Sears 45 hp McColluch wiring, and start questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jynxs boat

Cadet
Hello,
I've been in and out of this forum a dozen an one times the past few days, and I believe I'll be in here for quite a few more. You see I'm attempting to restore an old 1964 17ft elgin with matching 45 hp motor.(I believe thats what it is anyway)
The problemo is...
1) The wiring from the motor to the ignition, as well as the ignition is sitting in the bottom of the boat. There are only 4 wires there. Red, Black, Green, and White. Theres a buss on the inside of motor with matching colors, so i kinda figured that part out. The other end of the wires go from the motor to the front of the boat, and I believe go to an ignition switch but don't know how to put em in sequence,since the old one was all jerry rigged and rusted, I pulled it out and picked up a new one from shucks. It seems like I should have a couple more wires there, but not sure what.

2)I have the battery connected to the starter seleniod and the motor chassis, should there be another wire from the battery to the ignition?

3)I'm not sure of the fuel mixture

4)Definately not sure of the starting procedure.

5)Where would can I find the electrical parts I would need

The model number on the motor says 574.6061.

At anyrate, if anyone's got a wiring diagram, or any tips concerning this post, It would be greatly appreciated. If I can help anyone out in any way, I'm a residential electrician. Feel free to PM me.

Here's some pics of my ordeal!

DSC02379.jpg

DSC02381.jpg

DSC02380.jpg

DSC02383.jpg

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1963 Sears 45 hp wiring, and start questions

Should be a McCulloch built motor. Electric start uses a battery ignition.
Uses a crankshaft mounted distributor,and a flywheel mounted alternator/generator.A comeplete ignition system consisting of coil, condenser and points for each cylinder.points set at .020.There is an ignition switch and
ballast resistor unit mounted on or near the key start panel.As I understand it
that setup allows a full 12volts for cranking(starting) then runs tyhrough the resistor in the run position.There is an involved timing procedure.
A aftermarket manual should be a help.You might find one at the library
or possibly here at iboats.

Jynxs boat

Cadet

I found the ballast resistor under the dash, the old ignition switch is cut off and laying on the bottom of the boat. I picked up a newer igniton switch that has IGN BAT ACC and a center post I believe is for 12+,. From the motor I have the 4 wires pictured above. Do I need a 12+ and a ground to go towards the ignition along with the 4 wires? For some reason It seems like I would need a push button also to engage the starter, but not sure how all that works.....Man if this was a custom home rewire it would be a piece of cake, but for some reason this boat has me yankin my hair out.....at least I got the radio to work.

blot101

Seaman Apprentice

http://www.discount-marine-parts.com/ob_mcculloch.html

this page has a bit of info on this engine... though, i'm afraid if you ask anyone in a boat shop you'll get the run around, or just plain rude reception.

mccolluch doens't get nice looks if you bring it in.
the scott guy is a good guy to ask, but the above website apparently bought out mccolluch when they went down, and has some new parts for it.
though, they didn't have the starter for the 60 hp. they did (when i called) give two numbers of people to try. that's a start anyway. i'm restoring a glastron with a mcculoch motor, so if i find any information with it, i'll send it your way.

wiring diagram on mine is in the cover of the motor. but i dont know how thorough it is, i've reduced my selft at times to just touching wires together, and seeing what happened. but be careful with that not to touch them for too long... i burned up my starter...

and they are IMPOSSIBLE to find.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

jynxs, you have a PM

Re: 1964 Sears 45 hp McColluch wiring, and start questions

Did u get all your question resolved? I have a 1962 Elgin with a 45hp Elgin, same as yours so let me know. I have the "Outboard Motor service manual, volume 2. 30hp and above" so I can answer any question that u may have. P.S. My outboard sat for 20 some years,was TOTALLY froze up and I got it running good!!!:D

cheez692003

Recruit

Hey all first timer !!! I have a 45 HP McCullough outboard . I can get it to crank but i cant find the right wire combo to get spark . I have 4 wires it the plug ..... A red , a green , a white , and a purple . anyone have any wiring diagrams that will help me restore this old monster that is sitting on the back of my 1977 16 foot tri-hull open bow chrysler that i save from going to the land fill . Thanks Pat

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You have a PM.

cheez692003

Recruit

im back with anther question ....... got the motor to crank but cranks really hard like it has alot of compression . is there a preasure relief valve on this motor to let it crank alittle easier ? also i still can not get any spark . is the ballast resistor needed to get spark ? i did not think so . but i might be wrong . just trying to get this motor up and running as cheap as possible . any info would be awesome . thanks to gator for the wiring diagram ! Pat

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Well they do have a lot of compression. The ballast resistor is in the ignition feed circuit, so yes it is needed. However, if you mean can you just wire around it, yes I suppose it would probably have spark. But it would make short life of the points and possibly explode a coil.

brianbrian

Recruit

Hi
wondering if you tracked down the wiring diagram, if you did could you send me a copy. I am trying to sort out the wiring on my scott also.

Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Double hijack of old thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.