Bass boat for saltwater?

clayking

Recruit
Ok, does using a bass boat (or similiar fresh water boat), such as a Tracker, in saltwater doable? Or should I stay with a center console boat with all fiberglass? I'm gling to be fishing in intercoastal area only, no ocean stuff, where the waters are fairly calm and used mainly for flats fishing.

The reason I ask, the tracker boats are far less expensive and I could use it both ways, fresh and salt. So will it work or will it rust away?...............................ck

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bass boat for saltwater?

buy the boat that fits the conditions you will be fishing. Fiberglass is easier to care for in a salt water environment. any boat needs to be washed down at the end of the day.

where are you going to be boating. there are areas of the IC that are rough, and heavy boat traffic, to consider.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Tidal water is very different from a lake. The water is always in motion. Any little bit of wind against a moving tide it's going to get rough and its going to get rough in a hurry. You?ll have waves coming at you from every different direction at once. It?s like trying to boat in a washing machine.

Construction materials aside, a bass boat just is not designed for use on Coastal waters. They lack the deadrise and freeboard necessary to safely navigate those waters. Just had a 20? Ski boat get swamped last weekend from a freighter that pasted almost 3 miles away.

clayking

Recruit

Thanks.

where are you going to be boating. there are areas of the IC that are rough, and heavy boat traffic, to consider.

I'm in Vero Beach, fishing the Indian River Lagoon. Even in a stiff wind, it doesn't kick up that much, 1-2 foot chop is about it. No plans to go out the inlet. I've seen bass boats in big lakes with rougher water than around here. I see little jon boats, skiffs and all sorts in the river. Heck, it's even full of kayaks.

Construction materials aside, a bass boat just is not designed for use on Coastal waters. They lack the deadrise and freeboard necessary to safely navigate those waters.

Are they not capable of handling the salt water material wise?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

First issue, as said above, is design. Low freeboard, no chines or rise, no rolled gunwales to shed water; and worst, the top-heavy bass seats.

One that is outfitted with carpeted decks and compartments: the hardware (hinges, ltches, etc) might not hold up to salt regardless of washing it off.
Aluminum boats are OK in salt but when they get some age to them they are likely to corrode at stress points and rivets.

don't go by what you see out there. People die in the wrong boats. Kayaks are more seaworthy and stable than any boat 4x as big (used correctly). The bass boats may do fine but two waves over a transom corner is all it takes (in good weathers) and a slide under a curling chop in bad weather will take it down.

So get the john boat if you must but not the bass boat interior. Look at the Lowe wide-body if you have to have aluminum. Or a Chincoteague scow. But you can't beat a carolina skiff J series. Will work great in fresh water, too.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Are they not capable of handling the salt water material wise?

Chances are a bass boat is going to have chrome plated zamac hardware instead of SS. Zamac will go up like Alka Seltzer if used around saltwater very long.

Aluminum windshield trim, etc. will pit in a matter of months if some kind of protectorate is not used on a regular basis. The boat?s wiring will take a beating if the they didn?t take the precautions required for saltwater usage.

I'm not saying it can't be done. Use it once or twice a year in salt I wouldn?t worry about. Regular use in salt is just asking for problems.