1988 evinrude 90hp/Bogged down after half hour on the water

Imissedem

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Bought a 90 and got rid of the 150.Motor has been running good.but yesterday i went out and about 30 min. into the ride at about 3/4 throttle it just bogged down then died.Squeezed the primer ball and no hard pressure there but then built up again.Started right up and ran great.Watched the air show for a couple hours and headed back.About the same amount of time and distance it did the same thing but i was able to reach back and squeeze the primer ball and built right back up and ran great the rest of the way back.Does not have a vro anymore on this motor/Mixing on my own.What do you think/////////////.Thanks John..............

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 evinrude 90hp/Bogged down after half hour on the water

Sounds like the fuel pump is starting to fail but first make sure you do not have a venting issue or air getting in at any of the connections.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

When you squeezed the primer bulb, you assisted the fuel pump.

First, check the fuel system from the tank to the fuel pump for obstruction of any kind. If you have a VRO, check the pulse limiter and all hose connections. If you have a conventional lift pump, check that the gasket between the intake manifold and the pump is airtight.

If all of that looks OK, test the fuel pump. You need an in-line fuel vacuum and pressure tester to do that; check your auto supply store.

Imissedem

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like the fuel pump is starting to fail but first make sure you do not have a venting issue or air getting in at any of the connections.
I will check all that out Ken.One thing i did notice but not sure if this could be part of the problem.Where i fuel up the boat./On board tank/The vent opening is missing the cap.Not sure if this would work the same as the portable tanks.1992 Renken Seamaster 1880 cc.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

make sure the vent is clear, pump cannot suck fuel out of a vacuum. with out the cap, kritters can get in there and make a nest, blocking air flow.