Evinrude Speeditwin

80skeys

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone,

I just acquired an Evinrude Speeditwin "Model 2?402M, 28hp at 4500rpm." I don't know the year. The last owner said it worked last time he used it (about a year ago.)

Any tips on firing it up?
Anyone know the gas/oil ratio it needs?

- mike

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: Evinrude Speeditwin

Read Awakening a Sleeping Outboard on the Engine FAQs board

Model number is almost certainly 28402M making it a 1964 model.

Fuel mixes generally are 50:1 from 1964 onwards but this 28hp range predates that therefore it might need 24:1 expert advice need on that.

Chinewalker suggests HERE that 40:1 would be appropriate

80skeys

Seaman Apprentice

Awesome tips, guys. I'm going to see if I can fire it up this morning.
If anyone else has any other tips, don't be shy about posting them here.
Thanks!
mike

80skeys

Seaman Apprentice

Okay so at home actually I mixed a couple gallons at 40:1, pulled the choke all the way out, connected a small 12V battery, and it fired up right away. So, then I took it out on the lake yesterday and it worked like a champ. I'm very pleased. And pleasantly suprised how well these old motors work. Idled well, didn't die out, strong at high throttle, and started up every time.

lindy46

Captain

Glad it runs well! Since the motor is new to you, I'd consider replacing the water pump impeller and changing the oil in the lower unit. Make sure there's no water getting in there. You want to keep it a good running motor:)

80skeys

Seaman Apprentice

Glad it runs well! Since the motor is new to you, I'd consider replacing the water pump impeller and changing the oil in the lower unit. Make sure there's no water getting in there. You want to keep it a good running motor:)

Thanks for the suggestion. How do I do this?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Changing the gear oil is a simple job. I dont have a link to diagrams of an engine from that era but you should be able to identify two largish flat headed slotted screws. One lowdown on the gear case and the other pretty high up. They are the drain and level screws.

With the motor upright remove them and allow the old oil to drain. Any signs of water or milkiness indicates a failed seal somewhere which will need to be replaced.

Refill with outboard gear oil. Using a pump attachment or a squeezable bottle put the oil in via the lower hole until it flows from the upper one. Refit the top screw and then remove the pump or bottle and refit the lower one.

BUT use new sealing washers or O rings on the screws

DO NOT remove any other screws especially any smaller Philips headed ones or bits inside the gearcase will come adrift.

Renewing the water pump impeller will entail separating the gear case from the leg. Refer to a manual.

80skeys

Seaman Apprentice

I went into a local marine shop to buy the gear oil. They told me that the type of oil to use depends on whether the motor uses an electric gear shift (Supreme oil) or a manual shift (High-biz lube).

I want to confirm whether this is true or not. And if so, how can I tell which one mine is?

Thanks.

lindy46

Captain

Does it have a shift lever on the starboard side and a throttle control on the port side? In other words, a 2-lever control? If so, it is a manual shift. Electric shift has a single lever control and wires running down the leg to the lower unit.

80skeys

Seaman Apprentice

Both the shift lever and the throttle are located side-by-side on the starboard side of the boat.

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

You need to get the lube for the manual shift then.....I have a 1965 33 HP evinrude and I use regular gear lube that you get at wal-mart though and it works fine.

80skeys

Seaman Apprentice

I'm suprised that none of the local (Grand Junction) marine stores carry the "hi-vis" gear lube. I was told this is the lube I need to use for this motor. Anyone know of a compatible alternative?

I ordered the after market impeller from marineengine.com which was given in a link posted at the top of this thread. So thanks to that person for providing the link.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Any outboard gear oil in the viscosity range 80W-90.