New Boat Small Problem First Post

turkey22

Seaman
I bought a new triton 1860 (20 hour round trip to dearlership) and have a 90 ETEC on it. I saw on the wheel it has SAFE T STEERING. The boat is a little tight at the wheel in my opinion and tends to do right turns a little easier and smoother. What is my problem and how do I need to go about fixing it? May not be a problem may just be me...

How the engine is set up...
How do you know if you are getting the most out of your engine for performance...there are all the different hole settings on the back of the plate...is this just a standard setting or something that should be played around with...my boat does well as of now just wondering if I may want to play around with the engine pitch holes or just leave it alone...

Thanks so much for all your help and comments...looking forward to being a member.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: New Boat Small Problem First Post

if the dealer mounted it I'd assume they know what they're doing.
You can very easily void the warranty mucking around with it and making a mistake by not knowing better.

the mounting holes are so the engine can be placed at the correct height, you have to believe they did it right. Unless you encounter major problems, which I don't see in your post at all.
Thats a fabulous engine,
just wish I could afford one.... welcome aboard and I hate you!:D
what me? jelous?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The ability to turn easier in one direction or the other is because of a condition called torque steer. The power of the engine (actually the prop) causes the motor to pull to one side. If you look at the motor you will see a small fin sticking down. That fin can be adjusted to compensate for torque steer. Since the engine trying to help you turn right, adjust the tab to the right. If this is a no-feedback steering system you should be able to let go of the wheel and the boat will continue straight. It takes a slight effort to overcome the internal clutch mechanism in the steering. You will get used to that and it is a very nice feature.

The holes you mention are mounting holes. With the engine vertical, check the antiventilation plate position relative to the bottom of the boat. If the plate is even with or an inch or so above the keel the engine height is ok but probably not optimized.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

There's no way for the dealer to set it up for the best performance unless they have a great deal of experience with that exact boat and motor combo and know how you want to use the boat. There are just to many variables so, they set them up to work OK in most situations, changing props, adjusting the motor height, adding tabs, etc, will fine tune it for your needs.