'67 Chrysler 45 plows water

BoatLib

Cadet
During the winter, I posted about this '67 Chrysler 45. Well, I got it running . . . changed the plugs, impeller, thermostat, lower oil. I headed out to a nearby lake and the whole family got in: 2 teenage boys, 1 nine year old, my wife, and myself - about 735-750 pounds total (you'll get my point in a minute). The motor is on a 14' (beam 4-5'?) fiberglass vee with a slight reverse chine at the prow.

Anyway, after we all piled in - with lifejackets, I started it up and pushed the throttle forward and we began to steam ahead. But, we never planed out. The trim was on the second hole from the transom. The motor ran fine, except for some hesitation at full throttle. We weren't going real fast, but leaving this huge wake. Other than us, the motor, and the tackle there isn't much more weight to the boat - no foam, no interior trim, two seats, no carpet, no water, etc. I don't know how fast we were going but the motor didn't seem to be revved too high, (like you hear from a old Johnson 9.9) we might have been doing somewhere between 10-20 mph, but we certainly weren't planing out.

Most weight was to stern since it is an old fiberglass runabout - closed bow. We're we just overweight?:p Or, does it sound like the motor needs help? I know that the hesitation may have been due to low fuel. We had maybe a half-gallon to a gallon in a 5 imperial gallon tank. We don't plan on taking everyone all the time, it was just the maiden voyage for us.

Any ideas on how to get this thing moving an planing?

BoatLib

Cadet
Re: '67 Chrysler 45 plows water

here are some pics. She ain't much, but she was free!
DSCN5343.JPG

DSCN5351.JPG