grease packer

fixmyevinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class
Would like to purchase a grease packer. I have seen several different kinds and am not sure which is best. Does anyone have any experience with one? Any info on the kind you used and the results would be great. I usually take bearings off, clean them in kerosene, air dry them with compressed air and repack by hand. I would really like to find a reliable grease packer to eliminate the hand packing step. Thanks for any advise.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
Re: grease packer

I've tried different kinds of packers and found I don't get any less grease on my hands. I still like the "slide the end of the bearing across my palm" method best.
Mike

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

I bought one from pep boys for around 10 bucks. It looks cheap, just 2 pieces of plastic with the zirk stud in the middle. Despite its looks, the thing works wonders. I was a firm believer in the hand packing method, but its alot faster and you can watch the grease fill up all the voids. pretty sweet deal. pretty cheap too. Theres another one for 30 bucks, i dont know how it could do any better than the cheap one.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I have a grease packer and I admit it works vey well. The problem I have withit is that it works by pushing grease into the axle bore of the bearing, filling up that cavity before it gets to the rollers and races. Like I said it works well, but when you are done you have a well greased beaaring with a bunch of grease in the middle and it is just as much of a mess as hand packing. I pretty much only used mine when i am re-packing the bearings on one of my tandem axle trailers and have 8 bearings to do.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

I hand packed for years and finally broke down and bought a packer from Harbor Freight. It works great, you can watch the greas flow and be certain it gets to all the bearings evenly. I wear rubber gloves. I'm in the aviation industry and thats what we use with all the nasty chemicals. A box is like 5 bucks and lasts me 6 months to a year.

escapade

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used this method for my off-road vechicles and it works wonders with all bearings, or any other part the needs to be greased or water tight.

Take a vaccuum sealer put enough grease to fully grease the bearing or part, and vaccuum seal it, the vaccuum created inside the bag will pull the grease into the voids and will also keep the parts water tight and ready for use in the tool box when needed

fixmyevinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the great ideas. I will probably purchase one and give it a try. I also use thin rubber gloves similar to surgical gloves. They work great. I did see one type of packer I think it was made by Snap-On but don't remember for certain. It worked by placing the bearing in the plastic cup they give you and placing grease above it and pushing on another plastic sleeve that slipped in the first one. It forces the grease thru the bearing. Any info on these?

tboltmike

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used this method for my off-road vechicles and it works wonders with all bearings, or any other part the needs to be greased or water tight.

Take a vaccuum sealer put enough grease to fully grease the bearing or part, and vaccuum seal it, the vaccuum created inside the bag will pull the grease into the voids and will also keep the parts water tight and ready for use in the tool box when needed

Bingo!!

Thought about doing this and was searching the site to see it anyone had done this before.

Remove the air and the grease should push right in. Bearing(s) and grease goes in the bag, pull a vacuum, seal it, massage the grease in the brg, open the bag, hand pack any surface voids and install.

Can't wait to see the look on my wife's face when she sees me hauling the seal-a-meal to the garage!!