do all boats have a fuel pump?

rooooney

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This may sound like a dumb question but I am having what I believe to be a fuel issue with my boat- From the tank to the carbs i really don't see any type of pump. Its an old boat- 1969 omc 120hp- How should I diagnose my system?

BLinindoll

Seaman
Re: do all boats have a fuel pump?

all engines have some kind of fuel pump (except for most small engines which are gravity fed.) Yours is probably mechanical and mounted to the block. Just follow the fuel lines from the tank to the pump. It should be bolted to the block somewhere.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Why don't you just tell us what your problem is. If you can't find the pump on a 69 motor, then I doubt you can determine if it's a fuel or ignition problem or even something not related to the engine.

rooooney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I admit I'm not too familiar with boats- I know that car pumps are in the tank and my boats tank clearly didnt have one in it- I didn't realize that the thing it ran through on the block was the pump. I know where it is now.

My problem is I just had my carbs rebuilt and tuned up the boat but the boat will not start- it just cranks - I figured I would start my troubleshooting with the fuel system-

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Do you have spark?

BLinindoll

Seaman

btw... a lot of older carburated vehicles used the same type of mechanical pump on the block. not just boats. after all.... if you can work on a vehicles engine, you should be able to work on a stern drive engine. same thing, just different marine rated parts.... knowing which parts are marine rated is the key ;)

gadget73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fuel and fire, need to determine which you do not have before any troubleshooting can begin.

rooooney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm embarrased to say I do not have a spark. I should of started there I guess. I just replaced the rotor-cap-plugs- and wires. I must of gone wrong somewhere along the way.