johnson 6hp wont start

laki101

Seaman Apprentice
I have a problem with my '69 6 hp johnson. When its cold it starts (usually) and runs ok. But when i turn it off it wouldnt star again. Now i think my carburetor is dirty because i cleaned it today and it started but it died after a minute and it wouldnt start again.

Now how could i check the fuel system and what else could be the problem.

My friend (he is a mechanic) thinks that somehow water gets in the cilinders and thats the problem.

Any help please i need it :(

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer
Re: johnson 6hp wont start

A simple compression check will tell you if you have a cracked head/head gasket . Before I went there though, it almost sounds like the carb is dirty and running itself out of gas due to a sticky float/valve.
Try tapping the carb with a wrench to free up the float. If it still doesn't run try spraying a gas/oil mix into the throat of the carb and see if it starts/stays running. You can also try squeezing the fuel ball when it wants to stall. If it runs/starts with any of these steps, it's a carb /fuel problem.

laki101

Seaman Apprentice
Re: johnson 6hp wont start

i tried to put fuel direct in the carb and it like starts but it turns of. I think the float is geting stuck. I also saw some small metal bits in the fuel so could it also be the problem.

I dont think the compression is bad because it runs good when it starts.

And that friend also told me that it has a weak spark so how could i check that ?