Moter dies when it loads.

Hello All,
I have a 76' OMNI boat with a Johnson 70 on it. The motor runs great while in neutral it revs up perfectly but when you put it in gear and start to put a load on the motor it dies every time. I have tried everything i know how to do and nothing works i took it too a Johnson mechanic and he worked on it 3 times with no luck......please help!:confused:
Thanks
Son Of A Fisherman

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Moter dies when it loads.

your mech may not know this. also doing a link n sinc.

Ethanol and fuel lines
replace all fuel line with Alcohol resistant lines. Ethanol deteriorates, the rubber lines, then they start to sluff off on the inside, going directly to the carbs. Settling to the bottom of the bowl. Contaminating the carbs high speed jets. clean a rebuild carbs, flushing fuel line before connecting to carbs.

Hello tashasdaddy,
Thanks for the fast reply we changed out the lines about a year ago to alcohol resistant lines. We have had this problem for 2 years now and have went through 2 mechanics and 3 carb rebuilds all for nothing. Still dies as soon as you put a load on the prop. Got anymore suggestions.
Thanks
Son Of A Fisherman

heega1

Recruit

I'm battling the same issue with '76 35hp.

We think it might be related to one cylinder not firing....

quackaddict1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would look elsewhere than the carb and lines if they have been rebuilt so often. Is the fuel pump in good working order? You can pull off the line exiting the pump and turn over the motor (assuming electric start) it should have a strong flow, any interruption and I would rebuild it.

If I had to bet 100 dollars on this one, I would say you have weak spark and an issue in the electrical system. When were the sparks last replaced? Power packs, coils, etc?