Buccaneer 5 HP

mighty1

Cadet
I have come onto an old Buccaneer 5hp motor, made by Gale, # 679877.
I was a bit surprised when not only did it turn over but it actually started.
I wasn't really prepared for that, (didn't have it in water), and so shut it down after 2 or 3 seconds.
So....now I know that it runs, BUT as I attempted to start it again the only way I got it to fire was with the throttle wide open, and then it only ran for a second or two.
Now I cannot get it to fire. I have moved both the hi speed and the low speed adjustments but nothing works.
Can anyone tell me what the hi and low speed settings should be? The "directions" are on the front of the motor cover but so faded out that I cannot read them.
I'm guessing that the carb is "varnished", but then, if that's the case how come it started?
I'm NOT a great outboard man, can't see spending a bunch of money on this "oldtimer" since I don't really have a use for it, BUT hate to just throw it away!!!! On the other hand can't sell it on ebay if it won't start.
Can anyone help me out?

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: Buccaneer 5 HP

Check out the Top Secret file at the top of this forum, in the FAQ section. Focus on the Awakening a Sleeping Outboard tips. Those are good little motors, stout and reliable.

mighty1

Cadet

Commander, I see the FAQ above, but nowhere do I see Focus on Awakening a Sleeping Outboard, (Confidential, Secret, or Top Secret). Am I just dense or blind or both?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I have come onto an old Buccaneer 5hp motor, made by Gale, # 679877.
I was a bit surprised when not only did it turn over but it actually started.
I wasn't really prepared for that, (didn't have it in water), and so shut it down after 2 or 3 seconds.
So....now I know that it runs, BUT as I attempted to start it again the only way I got it to fire was with the throttle wide open, and then it only ran for a second or two.
Now I cannot get it to fire. I have moved both the hi speed and the low speed adjustments but nothing works.
Can anyone tell me what the hi and low speed settings should be? The "directions" are on the front of the motor cover but so faded out that I cannot read them.
I'm guessing that the carb is "varnished", but then, if that's the case how come it started?
I'm NOT a great outboard man, can't see spending a bunch of money on this "oldtimer" since I don't really have a use for it, BUT hate to just throw it away!!!! On the other hand can't sell it on ebay if it won't start.
Can anyone help me out?

Need the model number for ID. I think you gave the serial number?? Buccaneer model numbers are something like 5DxxB, or 5SxxB. I'll almost guarantee that it has bad (cracked) coils.

Attachments

• Cracked coils2.jpg
    Cracked coils2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Sorry about that...the Top Secret File is at the top of the Johnson-Evinrude forum...not enough coffee yet, I guess.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Those are classic unserviced awakening symtoms starts then gets progresivlely worse.
Sounds like you may have a later model with 2 typical needle valves.
3/4 turn out from gently bottomed.You may have to remove the knobs to get the initial setting.

mighty1

Cadet

I think you have the right idea, yes there are two "control settings", a high speed and a low speed, and yes I'm sure they do control the settings of the hi and low speed jets. Now I know very little about carbs. but have figured this much out I'm pretty sure.
I'll try it with 3/4 a turn out on both of them and see what happens. I did take the carb off and soaked it in a carb cleaner solution, and blew out whatever and whenever I could with out getting "INTO" the carb itself, I'm pretty reluctant to do that, fearing I'll never get it back together properly.
It's been suggested that the coil is probably cracked, but I wonder about that because when I first tried it the darn thing started and I wouldn't think it would do so with a cracked coil, but then again, what do I know, that's why I'm on here asking you guys that know a LOT more about outboards than I do.
I'm thinking it's bad (old) gas, (which I have now replaced of course), and possibly a varnish situation inside the carb?
Once again, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Those carbs are really simple, don't be intimidated by them. If you have to rebuild/clean it, lay out some white or brown butcher paper or old newspapers and go slowly...laying out the parts on the paper the way they came out. Clean it real well with carb cleaner, then reassemble and set the high and low-speed needles. The original coils simply dry out and crack with age...easy and cheap to replace though. You'll need a harmonic balancer puller from an auto parts store to remove the flywheel and do a tune up.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It's been suggested that the coil is probably cracked, but I wonder about that because when I first tried it the darn thing started and I wouldn't think it would do so with a cracked coil, but then again, what do I know, that's why I'm on here asking you guys that know a LOT more about outboards than I do.
I'm thinking it's bad (old) gas, (which I have now replaced of course), and possibly a varnish situation inside the carb?
Once again, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Cracked coils on those old OMC motors with the Universal Magneto are the norm unless they have already been replaced. And they are notorious for doing just what you describe. But don't take my word for it, if you don't believe me simply remove the recoil starter and the thin cover from the flywheel and peer down in there and see for yourself. Otherwise, you and I and everybody else are just guessing.

That is not to say you don't have a varnished carburetor also. I'm just saying to evaluate the whole motor before tearing into something.

Still need the model number.

mighty1

Cadet

I want to thank you guys for trying to help me. I'm so darn busy that I haven't had a chance to try some of your recommendations, but I WILL be doing so in the near future.
Therefore, I may be (probably WILL be), back on this forum looking for more help as I get a chance to work on this motor.
Once again, thanks for all the assistance and suggestions so far!

mighty1

Cadet

I've checked the motor again. I cannot find any number other than the (679877) serial number, except inside the cover, (in a couple places), the number 552715 occurs, (and I don't think that's the number you guys are asking me about.
I have one (stupid) question. As this fired up initially and we (obviously) had spark, how could the coil be cracked. If the thing was cracked I would not have spark, right?
I'd like to put a couple of pictures on this thread but can't seem to find any link that will allow me to do so, yet I know it can be done as one of you put a picture of a cracked coil on earlier in the thread. Am I just missing something or is there a trick?
Thanks again.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Those old coils dry out and crack with age, some will still spark but not reliably. Sounds like you need to do a compression test, check/clean all the fuel system components, and do a tune-up under the flywheel...if the compression is good. As for pix, sign-up for one of the free photo hosting services/sites...upload your sized photos there and then post the link to them in your thread when you post more info. I use photobucket but there are several others available. If you size them correctly, you can upload them direct with your thread/post...click the Go Advanced tab, then Manage Attachments.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I have one (stupid) question. As this fired up initially and we (obviously) had spark, how could the coil be cracked. If the thing was cracked I would not have spark, right?

Thanks again.

That isn't a stupid question. A million people have already asked it. They WILL spark and even sometimes try to run with cracked coils. But it won't start and run reliably till you fix it. Believe me if you can. I might add that I was a full time mechanic at a Buccaneer dealer when that thing was built. And Evinrude after that. I've seen a few.

mighty1

Cadet

I've taken some pictures, not sure that this will help any and I'm not sure but it looks like I'll have to send them separately. I will do so if necessary.
I DID find the model number it is 5D14B.
I'm so darn busy that I have not gone any further than before, but one of these days...... and so I thank you respondents for putting up with me.
I'll do these pictures, notice as you get to that point the I HAVE taken the carb off, and probably will tackle that one day because I fear that may be the biggest part of the problem even though who am I to second guess you who feel it's probably the coil.
Is there any way that I can check the coil before tearing it all apart?

Attachments

• Buc 1.JPG
    Buc 1.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Buc 2.JPG
    Buc 2.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Buc 3.JPG
    Buc 3.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Buc 4.JPG
    Buc 4.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Buc 5.JPG
    Buc 5.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 0

mighty1

Cadet

One last picture. (as you probably know I'm limited to five per reply).

Attachments

• Buc 6.JPG
    Buc 6.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 0

ohm116

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah to check the coils, pull off the recoil starter and the toothed cup off the top of the flywheel and there is a hole in the flywheel for setting the points, rotate the flywheel around until you see the coils, if they are cracked at all, they're probably toast, good idea to replace them anyway as old ones have a tendency of dieing at the worst possible time.

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

Hi mighty1 - That's a SWEET Bucaneer!:D According to your model number it's a 1957 with full forward/neutral/reverse. If you do put that on ebay let us know as I think a few of us would be interested.;)

As far as the coils are concerned, if you take the decorative cowling and the recoil starter off and get down to the bare flywheel there should be a "viewing" hole on the top like in the picture below (red arrow):

HPIM0842.jpg

You can rotate the flywheel clockwise to check the condition of the two coils. Your flywheel probably won't look exactly like mine, but it should have the hole on top.

By the way, when it was running were you able to tell whether it was pumping water or not?

BOB

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah to check the coils, pull off the recoil starter and the toothed cup off the top of the flywheel and there is a hole in the flywheel for setting the points, rotate the flywheel around until you see the coils, if they are cracked at all, they're probably toast, good idea to replace them anyway as old ones have a tendency of dieing at the worst possible time.

You beat me to it!:D:D

BOB

mighty1

Cadet

Once again thanks for the responses! Actually the reason that I am investigating "how to repair", is because I would just as soon sell it. I do sell stuff on ebay, but really hesitate to attempt to sell something that is not working. Additionally there is the cost of shipping something like this from Wisconsin. If one of you guys would be interested in buying it I'd sure like to talk with you, and especially if you weren't too far away from me, (Baraboo, WI). from the standpoint of picking it up or delivery.
Now to answer the other part of your question. I was more curious than anything else when I "pulled the rope", just anxious to see if it would start at all. And it did, as I stated, but because I wasn't prepared for it to run any length of time, I did not have it in water, and so cannot tell you if it's pumping water or not. I did the last time I ran it but that has been many, many years ago.
Actually, if someones interested I'd as soon get rid of it, I realize this is not an auction site, but...... and if one of you would like to talk personally my phone is 608-355-2020, and I'm around much of the time.
If nobody is interested, one day soon, (too darn much other stuff taking priority, and I don't want to rush my repair efforts), I will take a look at the coil and possibly try my hand at carb "cleanup", but I'm not anxious to get into something that I know so little about!!!!! Thanks once again!

Capt Ron

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You should sell the motor now, as is, and not try to fix it.

Capt Ron