transom rebuild and other Fiberglass work

Jonezin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is there anyone in the anniston area that be will to help a newbie with transom rebuild and some other fiberglass work? My issue is my so called friend has been promising me to help me with this, i have it all tour down and i got the fiberglass but honestly I don't know what the hell im doing. I have an idea of what i want, Ive watched all kinds of fiberglass videos but they dont tell you how to put stringers in.

So if anybody is willing to help i cant pay you much but free food and drink. I can trade work for work, im a handy man, tree cutter and over all contractor. Please feel free to contact me.:confused:

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer
Re: transom rebuild and other Fiberglass work

I read a lot on this forum and other websites before I started mine. I read a book called runabout renovation, it was great, went though things step by step for a boat project like yours. Its really not too hard to do.

68C15

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I read a lot on this forum and other websites before I started mine. I read a book called runabout renovation, it was great, went though things step by step for a boat project like yours. Its really not too hard to do.

"runabout renovation" huh? any chance you would have an ISBN # ? I am in the process of doing my transom also. I have been reading alot and learning quite a bit here but I feel there is no such thing as too much info.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

It is not as intimidating as it seems. Try a test project or even a few pieces of scrap wood first on a small scale.

Installing stringers is as easy as it gets. I think the toughest part is getting them cut to the proper shape to match the hull.

Install them using PL (polyurathane) adhesive which is a high end liquid nails in a caulking tube. That will bed the stringers and hold them in place. Then you can work on the fiberglassing.

Welcome to iboats! There are a few of us here who have traveled. ;)

jonesg

Admiral

It is not as intimidating as it seems. Try a test project or even a few pieces of scrap wood first on a small scale.

Installing stringers is as easy as it gets. I think the toughest part is getting them cut to the proper shape to match the hull.

Install them using PL (polyurathane) adhesive which is a high end liquid nails in a caulking tube. That will bed the stringers and hold them in place. Then you can work on the fiberglassing.

Welcome to iboats! There are a few of us here who have traveled. ;)

exactly, just go for it, each step becomes obvious as you start doing it.

don't forget to promise your freind a new roof,
tell him to just ahead and start ripping shingles off.:D

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

I was intimidated at first but then I just jumped in, its not bad to do at all.
heres the ISBN
ISBN-10: 0071580085
ISBN-13: 978-0071580083
I got it on amazon, I couldn't put it down read the whole book in two days, first book I've read cover to cover in about 5 years.

PL is much cheaper in the big tubes than the little caulk tubes

Jonezin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all of the support and suggestions. Its kinda heart breaking when you get lest hanging. I'm one of those guys if you ask then its done, I keep my rope in tow and shine my light for all that can see it.

I guess i'll try to find that book and jump into it, whats the worst that can happen!, my rebuild mercury 1500 fall off right?:)

But thanks againMy boat.jpg

my boat 2.jpg

my boat 3.jpg

jonesg

Admiral

we accept others with their shortcomings as they accept us with ours.

Have you cut the new stringers out yet?
Test fitted them in the hull?
Got any resin yet?

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

To be honest, I have no clue as to what I'm doing either but I am learning every day from reading these threads and diving in. Just be sure to fully read the threads for any mistakes that might of happened along the way so you don't duplicate it. A lot of information is in here...you just have to look for it and ask for help.

Jonezin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I haven't cut out the stringers out yet I will do that this week, but i was going to use them as templates. I got resin but no hardener that was something they was bringing to the party. I need the liquid kind so im on the hunt for that. I've been looking at that west system resin and hardener. I need to beef up the transom and the stern of the boat because im going from a 55hp to a 150hp. all new controls and all new steering the works. The guy who i got it from said its really should be hitting at 170's hr they put a lot into the rebuild..

But I do get alot of info from this site, i'm so thankfull for you guys and this site. I have look at a few other sites and I really like this site its become my new hang out.

Well I'll be playing with hydraulic tomorrow, trying to get it to tilt on the stand so i can work on it some more.

jonesg

Admiral

going from 55 to 150hp :eek:

any more little surprises ?

thats a complete redesign, not for the faint of heart ,
and here I thought you were over-reacting to a simple repair.

Post some pics if possible, I'm no marine architect but you'll get enough experienced viewpoints that you can cobble together a rational approach to getting it done....and not have the engine rip the transom off.
I just increased my transom from 2 to 3 inches and cored it with composite for my 150. No more wood.

West marine resin is very good, but way too pricey for me.
If cost is no object then you couldn't go too far wrong with their products and they offer good advise.

Go to any decent Ace hardware and buy some polyester catalyst, they sell it in clear plastic tubes. Then start to play with the poly, learn how to measure accurately, try mixing up some putty and applying it to scrap wood joints.
Get some cheapo 2 inch brushes, usually .90 cents ea, some acetone to rinse them. Try applying mat and cloth, learn how to do it without pulling it all over the place. Try using a plastic scraper or roller.
I like to slap a coat of resin on the wood, place the mat and pour the rest of the resin on, leave a bit in the bucket for thin spots and stipple with the brush to get it into the mat.

Watch some videos on youtube.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

This info brings up some other questions, what HP is the boat rated for? If its rated for 150HP then there's no need to beef it up, it was made to handle it, all you need to do is rebuild what was there.

Jonezin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have posted a pic of the boat but i will take some today. I cant find very much info on the boat but the little i have found 85hp is the max. Its a 14 ft 78 Ala craft tri haul walk thru windshield. It looks like a run about. I'm trying to keep the boat looking in that era. my motor is a 1977 mercury 1500 thunderbolt.

For the transom i wanted to go with 2x10 composite but they don't come that big. So i was going to use treated. treated 2x4 stringers and treated 3/4 plywood for the floor and stern walls.

polyester catalyst that's the hardener right?
one of the things i'm confused about is how many layers do I need in all of the training videos i've seen they have all been about repairs and they at least 6 layers. I have that thick woven fiberglass mat this stuff is like a blanket.And if i'm right the more hardener you use the harder it is right?

One more thing,do add the hardener after you got everything in place with the resin or do mix it together and apply as you go.

here is pic pre tear downMy boat.jpg

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

If its rated for 85 and you want to put 150 on it, then you're on your own. While I'm not too concerned about slightly overpowering a boat, this is a little more than I'd be comfortable with.

As for the questions about fiberglass, start by reading many of the other threads about doing this type of work, plus the stickies at the top of the page. After that you'll have some questions about your particular project.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I owned a 15' hull that was rated for a 100 hp and with an 85 V-4 mounted it still was in the low 40's for speed. I am afraid that a 150 on a 14' hull would be near dangerous and I do not advise it for a newer boater.

Now a 150 is a high demand engine and would make a great motor for sale to find a nice 85 or 90 on the market. Bracing the 14' hull to carry a 150 hp engine is not sensible. Ohhh and on a tri-hull too.... they do not handle very well in any chop.

Jonezin

Petty Officer 1st Class

well thanks for the honesty, its still pissing in my cheerios.
I guess i just put everything on hold until i figure out what i'm going to do

But really thanks

jonesg

Admiral

what they both said,
I have a Johnson 150 and its scarey even on a 20 foot boat,
awesome powah.

If your engine is good, I'd dump that boat and keep the engine.
yay! a bigger boat.:D

tintug

Seaman Apprentice

The above post should be taken seriously. Thats a big step up in hp.The glassing part of it all comes with abit of practice. Mix the hardner in the mix...The more you use the faster it will set up.You don't want it to set up too quick though. Just read the directions and pratice on some scrape wood first its not that bad just a bit messy. Good luck and keep on trying ask questions and try some more. It will come to ya.

Jonezin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm just kinda dumb out i've put so much work into the boat now as it is. I know the 150 is a beast i need it to pull the kids and all of their toys. A bigger boat is not in the budget right now but i may have a 14ft tri haul for sale for 500 if i can find a bigger boat. I like the runabouts. so im kinda stalled right now. What do I do !!
I love that old boat.

again thanks for all of the info you guys are breaking my heart but im greatful