1997 Force 120hp compression numbers?

gabrielh

Cadet
Hi just found this awesome forum.
Going to look at a 97 bayliner Capri 1800 tomorrow and it have the force 120hp motor.
Don't know anything about this motor.What do I need to particulary look at?
I have a compression gage and going to do a compression test.What should the numbers be for this motor? Thanks!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1997 Force 120hp compression numbers?

Something above 120 would be nice.

140 - 150 would be great.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Check for adequate water discharge, signs of overheating (baked or peeling paint on the head)

Most important, DO NOT buy until you get an on water demo, with boat loaded with passengers and cargo as you plan to use it.
A 20 minute run should suffice.

No test ride, no sale.

gabrielh

Cadet

Thanks for the infos and the quick reply!Definately going to test in the water.I may have found an awesome deal if this boat is in xcellent condition as the seller stated (original owner)

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Comp with a good guage should be 150# on a cheap guage look for consistency all within 5# of each other.Check lower unit for water.See if there is a water/fuel seperator.
Most Force should start easily if it has trouble starting : Be careful.J

gabrielh

Cadet

Thanks for the replies!

Is there a way to check the condition of the lower unit? Like see if oil ans seals are good?
Again I have zero experience with outboards :p

Jack Daniels

Petty Officer 1st Class

When i looked at my motor to purchase it I actually took it out for a demo then when it was trailored, i drained the entire lower unit. The owner didnt care because i bought brand new lube to replace and took what i drained. You will want to look for metal shavings, water, or milky colored gear lube. If you get metal shavings, Run, water or milky oil, i would just low ball him and reseal it yourself. The reseal kit can be 40 bucks and a few hours of your time, totally worth it if you can drop the price 300 to 400 bucks.

gabrielh

Cadet

When i looked at my motor to purchase it I actually took it out for a demo then when it was trailored, i drained the entire lower unit. The owner didnt care because i bought brand new lube to replace and took what i drained. You will want to look for metal shavings, water, or milky colored gear lube. If you get metal shavings, Run, water or milky oil, i would just low ball him and reseal it yourself. The reseal kit can be 40 bucks and a few hours of your time, totally worth it if you can drop the price 300 to 400 bucks.

thanks for the tip!

I went and looked at the boat/motor yesterday.

Checked motor (very clean!) and lower unit oil (looked good too)

Compression numbers were: 120-120-119-115.

Are these good numbers?

Also what is the recommended gas/oil mix ratio for this motor?