83 Force Motor Sucking Fuel.

MARKS83BAYLINER

Recruit
Hi,
I'm a very new boater and my first boat is a 83 Bayliner with a Force 85 motor. The boat is in decent mechanical shape and runs just fine. The problem I have is I just took it out for the first time the other day and we ran out of fuel very quickly. That was about 5 gallons in about 1 hours time of running the motor. We final made back to shore and fueled up and went back out and ran threw another 6 gallons in about and hours time +/- 15 minutes. Is this unusal for the boat? My friend was shocked to find out we ran out so soon, he has owned several boats and could not believe it. Any suggestions or recommendations would be great.

Thanks

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 83 Force Motor Sucking Fuel.

The engine will burn through about 8.5 gallons per hour at wot. So thats normal.

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like you got a Hummer with a force outboard on the back of it :DI don't have a answer for you but that doesn't sound normal. While you wait for the pro's to look at your thread why don't you post some additional info like model#, your fuel to oil ratio, was it fresh gas or old? Did you do anything to the carbs prior?

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer

When tubing I go through 12 gallons of gas in about an hour and a half. It is perfectly normal. All engines burn about a gallon of gas per hour per every ten horses when at wot.

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

When tubing I go through 12 gallons of gas in about an hour and a half. It is perfectly normal. All engines burn about a gallon of gas per hour per every ten horses when at wot.
I just cruze on the lake, have never been WOT for more than 5 to 10 minutes. Now that I know that I will make sure I don't go WOT unless a storm is comming.

chitownborn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yep, timdan nailed it thats what my 1987, 85 hp drank