Is WOT Really WOT?

breiter56

Recruit
I just adjusted the throttle linkage on my '73 25hp Johnson by following the Seloc manual. The adjustments should be correct for the low range, but it appears when the controls are WOT there is still a few degrees left to open the throttle plate. Is this Ok, or will I get a few more RPMS by adjusting it so it is all the open?

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Is WOT Really WOT?

Get the oem manual, it'll give you the exact setup, selocs are garbage. the wot setting should be in 5200 rpm range and most probably the throttle plates will be fully open.

tedious

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree on getting the OEM manual - much better than aftermarket. At WOT, the throttle plates should be fully open - but I have found the last few degrees don't matter a whole heck of a lot.

Tim

breiter56

Recruit

Thanks. The OEM service manual is on the way. I actuated the throttle the last few degrees by hand this weekend. It appeared not to make a difference.

mmccoy555

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Usually those extra few degrees are a buffer. You should have a little play in the throttle. You can start stretching cables and having problems if you don't have a buffer.