evinrude trim/tilt wiring question

dixieturk99

Cadet
Bought a boat with a 1977 (i think) 70hp evinrude. Previous owner had trim/tilt wired to a switch and he said the switch was broken but the trim worked. Looking at replacing the switch which had 6 leads from it. Wiring from trim unit is confusing though. Blue and green I understand but there is also a black wire with a 2 hole plug coming out of it. What the heck is that and what do I do with it? I think to test the unit I have to run + to blue or green and attempt to ground with the black wire but there is this funny plug thing attached to it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: evinrude trim/tilt wiring question

do you have the box with the relays in it? the funny 2 wire plug goes to the unit itself, should be a heavy blue and green wire from unit. the switch runs thru the relays. the relay can be superceded, by just using 2 separate switches, one up, one down. with positive to switch, and one leg of the motor on one switch. you have to use heavier wire and switch.

dixieturk99

Cadet
Re: evinrude trim/tilt wiring question

no relay , it was just wired by the previous owner directly to a 6 prong toggle switch. replaced the switch and hear a slight hum in the trim motor but no movement. don't know model number and looked all over for it. checked the fluid level and it is good. screwed out the manual release value all the way and can lift the motor but it won't allow the unit to be pushed down. got a feeling the motor is pooched but is there a way to check the cylinders??