Newbie!!! Thinking Pontoon

redneck47441

Recruit
I currently don't have a boat but am considering one for next season? I'm thinking pontoon we just had our first child so I need something with some room for the baby to get around safely. I love to fish espescially in big water I also gave alot of friends and family that I would like to take along to ski and tube and what not this will be my first boat so let me know if you think a pontoon is the right choice?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Newbie!!! Thinking Pontoon

Welcome to iboats!

The site is not running full speed and this is really not in the right section but, we are going to help you.

I would try to rent a pontoon or ride in one for a few hours. They are not the best "big water" boats...... they are kin to a floating patio unless you spend ton's of money.

I think a regular hull boat or a deck boat might fit your needs better.

Since you have not owned a boat before...... look around locally and find a Coast Guard Safe Boating course. The information you will learn is essential to the safety of you and the family.

Browse through the BOAT CLASSIFIED section..... look up Deck Boats, Pontoons etc.

When you say "big water" are you talking about a lake? The bay? The gulf or ocean? This has an impact.

Welcome.....look around...enjoy!

PhatboyC

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your not going to sleep in the boat at all then a deck boat have tons of room. If you want to spend the night then a cuddy is the way to go.

Pantoon's have their purpose but speed and range is limited.

Jeep Man

Commander

Pontoons are great for family...lots of room and very safe and stable. Because it cuts through the wave and not over it, the ride is significantly smoother. If you wish to ski with it you will have to think bigger engine (90 hp and up). What you gain in comfort you give up in speed.

ttownguy

Seaman Apprentice

I'm partial to deck boats over pontoons. I have an all aluminum Lowe Tahiti 224 with a 150hp Yamaha outboard...22 feet long with 4 fishing seat locations (2 in front, 2 in back). Plenty of seating, rated for up to 12 people. It'll get 2 adult skiiers out of the water, or it'll pull little kids gently on the tube. It comes with a removal trolling motor, two live wells and plenty of in-deck and under-seat storage. They are also very manueverable. You can get them in a 194 which is the 19 foot version.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

babies, and boats can be a hard mix. you have to keep an eye on them every minute. life jacket is a must. a pontoon lends itself to a play pen, deck boats do not. if you can afford a new deckboat, you can afford a new tri-toon, with a bigger motor. the tri-toon give you the lift and speed you need for water sports, and the child.

PhatboyC

Petty Officer 1st Class

For sure. But you can't by a boat for your immediate function only. The baby won't stay small for long. If you don't want to go through the hassle of changing boats I say plan a bit more ahead.

Tahoe 55

Petty Officer 1st Class

So, what are you thinking redneck after all these sugestions?