Replaced a coil, fixed leaky hoses. Still runs rough

SS140

Banned
Put her back in the water, drove it to the house from the boat launch and it ran much better, much more power but in the mid range rpm it still runs rough, especially when slowing down. I had to adjust the idle but I still didnt get it perfect, I guess Im suppose to disconnect the idle speed adjustment before adjusting the screw for the timing bar? Anyways, it keeps prime now. I cant see any more visable leaks but my brand new dry hoses are wet, and oily. So.. Maybe it's still leaky vacume/fuel or somthing?

It still doesnt want to idle without loading up after a couple minutes and going from nutural to gear idle it will shut off, I gotta give it some throttle and then go back to the idle "click" on the throttle. But thats not idle speed, it's a little higher...

When restarting after warm, it will restart ok if I use the idle bar a little, but if it "SPITS!" then its a PITA to start. I normally have to put the idle bar all the way up and bump the choke and put some fuel on the plug to bust it off and clear out the load up...

I took 2 friends for a ride today, weighing about 260lbs each, plus me which is 150 and I got the overheat horn a few times and the "rev limiter" effect again. Maybe Im stressing the motor out with all the weight, it struggles alot to get on plane with all of us.

Well, sorry for the long post but I hope someone can help me.

Im still working on getting a model # but we're all pretty sure it's a 1989 engine.

Thanks again!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Replaced a coil, fixed leaky hoses. Still runs rough

just a shot in the dark, but it is possible that the flywheel woodruff key is sheared, throwing the timing out just enough. you really need to keep one thread, so we know what you have been doing. i am not going back hunting the history. you now have spark, compression, and fuel. did you remove the jets when you did the carbs? are the float levels correct? have you checked timing? have you done a link n sinc?

SS140

Banned

The previous owner had the carb work done. I never did it. Im going to check the timing today with my timing light. I got this boat on memorial day off Craigslist here in Panama City for 600 bucks. It's definitly worth it, it runs good but I want it to run perfect or as close to perfect as I can.

Ive spent a lot of time fixing stuff they did, for example.. They put down indoor/outdoor carpet that retains water on the wood floor and caused part of the stringers to rot because they didnt pull the plug in the 3 years it sat.

Anyways, Im going to check timing and go back to my new set of plugs. I was sold on the NGK's but now I think the Champion plugs it calls for may be better for me. I still hear some clicky/clacky coming from the back of the motor, on the head. About where the coils are...

Its all a learning process, most of the time this is fun but sometimes It gets real aggravating.

Thanks to you guys its making me save money and learn some things. Which learning about it to me is the most important. The way I see it, if Average Joe from Blowtown USA can do it, I can learn it and do it. :p

SS140

Banned

Ok guys, here is the latest. I just got back from about a 2 hour cruise. I ran wide open across the lake, about 55 MPH, it was strong and FAST. After about 10 minutes I got that "Rev Limiter" type of effect and the alarm went off, so I shut it down, removed the cowling. It wasnt extremely hot, I could still touch the powerhead and intake without burning myself. I observed a steady warm stream of water, water leaks very little from the top exhaust just under the cowling. But not as bad as Ive seen on other J/E's. Whenever I get this it doesnt smoke much, but after sitting a few minutes and trying again, the alarm is off and it smokes a little and it's fine, sometimes its fine for a while and sometimes it goes right back to the "rev limiter" effect, like if you were to put your newer car/truck in park, hit the gas and listen to the rev limiter "Nen Nen Nen Nen" (Make sense?)..

Ok, I kept going, the alarm was off and the engine wasnt running hot. I didnt go Wide Open anymore though, I cruised around at mid RPM range for a while, where it starts to run rough... Now I dont have a tach but Im pretty good with guessing RPMs on these things. I'de say at around 3800-4000 rpm and lower it runs pretty rough, shaking my windsheild, ect.. Maybe like poor spark, or MAYBE clogged jets, perhaps poorly synced carbs? It still wont go from nutural to gear @ IDLE without bogging down and shutting off, I gotta give it some throttle and come back down to idle for it to start running, and it still loads up after a few mins of idling... Last week it would IDLE all day long, but it was running a lot rougher last week..

I tried to check my timing today but my timing light wouldnt work. I put it on the #1 plug wire, pos and neg of the battery, it didnt light up.. It's a car timing light but it doesnt make a difference, does it?

Guys, please help. All suggestions are appericated and considered. I've got the time, tools and means of fixing it. I want to figure out these kinks so I can run this thing all the time, I live on the lake so its a blast to just take the boat and go whenever.

I checked the compression today, 125, 125 and 121.

Thanks a bunch all.
T-daddy: I will keep this one post for me. Sorry about that.:redface: