carb diff adjustments for marine?

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: carb diff adjustments for marine?

for a chevy 350 when used as marine motor

So i'm guessing that you got an automotive motor that you plan on sticking in a boat. Aside from many legal reasons which include certain parts that need to be marine rated to keep the boat from blowing up (carb is one). Its not that simple. Auto blocks can be converted, but you need marine everything else.

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer

Only difference on our rochester carb was it has a different gasket that doesnt allow fumes to vent to the atmosphere.

gadget73

Petty Officer 1st Class

The bowl vent setup is different on marine carbs. The actual adjustment process is pretty much the same, but typically a marine motor runs with a lot more load, and it wants more fuel. If you have the original marine carb, I would either use it, or at least open it up to see what jets and metering rods its got in there. I would very strongly suggest using the marine carb if at all possible.

And yes, there are a whole slew of items that should be changed to marine spec for safety and longevity reasons. Not going to say I haven't seen junkyard truck engines stuffed in boats and run before, but thats not the right way to do it. The fact that the whole thing could very literally explode makes it kind of a bad idea.

financeguy31

Cadet

although heads pistons ect are high end perf auto, do still have mercathde setup that hould keep those parts running strong, everything else (minus carb) is marine just wasnt sure about the carb setup

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

Only difference on our rochester carb was it has a different gasket that doesnt allow fumes to vent to the atmosphere.

did it have vacuum secondaries?

I know a few marine quadrajets did. I'm wondering applications/years.