Need to know what I can do about these cracks/chips..

DK in Chicago

Seaman
I received this boat as a gift last year.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm27/dkinchi/Boat/c609bdc0.jpg

First thing I did was bring it to the shop to get it back up to speed in the winter, then I did a deep cleaning including stripping off the old stickers (Thank you eraser wheel!) buffed it out etc. Then I took it back to the shop to get it to actually run like it is supposed to!! (Which they finally did) Which brings me to today. Now that it is functional and looking good I want to take care of some of the body problems I have inherited before they get worse.

Here are some overview shots of the problems (All of these issues on on the bottom of the port side of the boat)

3d7a4bfb.jpg

61b25f6c.jpg

And here are closeups of all of the issues I will number them for reference.

f92b4ce1.jpg

1faae89e.jpg

2b9c09c6.jpg

5d51cd89.jpg

Here are some previous repairs that were made. Do they look OK?
Can I clean them up or should I redo any of them?

(Links due to 6 pic maximum)

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm27/dkinchi/Boat/f9d368c8.jpg
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm27/dkinchi/Boat/e58a8b99.jpg
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm27/dkinchi/Boat/eeebd543.jpg
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm27/dkinchi/Boat/799e4f26.jpg
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm27/dkinchi/Boat/126a010f.jpg

Thanks in advance for all of your input on this. Also, I am not worried about any repairs being showroom perfect, nor do I want it to look like a 4 year old did it. Mainly I am trying to keep $$ to an absolute minimum while ensuring I do not end up with a major leak (or any leaks for that matter).

DK

Last edited:

109jb

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Need to know what I can do about these cracks/chips..

First you need to grind back the gel coat to see exactly what is underneath. Some of those look like there may be some structural damage to the actual fiberglass. You would have to do this anyway. If the underlying fiberglass looks ok then the method you posted will work. If there is more extensive damage you may need to obtain access to the location from the inside of the hull too.

DK in Chicago

Seaman

Well the boat has been layed up for the year now and its approaching that time of year where the good ol winter projects get started... So it's time for me to bump this bad boy back up to the top.

Nothing has changed regarding what I have posted, since it's original posting.
This will be my first time ever doing any type of fiberglass work (I've never even bondo'ed anything... plastering is the closest I have come to this type of work) so any help with materials/tools to use is greatly appreciated (links would be great! ;)

What I've gathered up to this point is that all of the obvious cracks/holes need to be cleaned out as much as possible to find out how much damage is actually there. In this regard, do I just chip and pull away until nothing comes off easily? I just don't want to make anything worse than it is already.

If so, I will get to work on that aspect and then post pictures after I have removed the debris to see what the next step/steps will be.

Thanks!
DK

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Check out my thread, we had some that looked exactly like that. The one with the brown I think #2, is more than likely a point of water entry.

We had those brown marks on our bad crack, one we ground all the bad fiberglass away we were inside the boat :)

I would not just throw bondo on it. You can do it a few different ways, youtube boat repair (no bs).

Or you could bust out your grinder with a sanding disc on it and start grinding away at the cracks. You should be able to tell the difference between clean and dirty fiberglass. For us the dirty glass was a lot darker than the surrounding fiberglass, it also felt very flaky and de-laminated easily. Some of those look like they might be a possible 2 sided repair, you wont really know until you grind away. This is just from my personal repairs. So wait for other replies and go from there. Also, if you use filler just use it to fill in slight uneven areas if your painting. If you have gel coat then you can build it up as filler of sorts.

Also you can look into marine tex, but Im pretty sure you cant gel coat over marine tex.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

From the pics it looks like a couple of those spots go all the way through the hull, so I hope you didn't use it that way all summer, as it may mean you need to do far more work now. If water got in and soaked the foam you'll need to dig it out before it creates more problems.

You still won't have any experience with "Bondo" its not used for this type of repair.

The repair procedure you attached is what you need to follow.

DK in Chicago

Seaman

Well.... I'm guessing you might be right with the one going all the way through to the inside. I had to run the bilge pump probably every other hour or more depending on if I was moving or not. This was my first year with a boat so wasn't too sure if that was normal or not.

So I guess it is time to get a grinder (Any tips?) and see where I'm at with all this. Thanks for the link thrill.. I'm only half way through it , but it looks like you've done a heck of a job!

Wheeee... DOH!

DK

DK in Chicago

Seaman

Well, another year has gone by and Ol Bessy made it through, but this winter for sure I'm going to hit this while I rebuild some of the other interior damage (Wood Rot)...

At least one goes all the way through, as it was leaking.

Wish me luck! I'll do my best to document it and I'll be doing alot of reading as this will be my first fiberglass attempt...

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

DK

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

All I can say is I would suggest you be more careful with the boat. Seems to me to be a lot of damage to the hull going on. My hull is 48 years old and has very little damage to it.

Be more careful!!!

I'm just sayin...:D

Tell you what I would do. as long as the cracks and chips are on the outside and no apparent water /damage on the inside,I would clean and dry the areas and then use some good old WATER WELD (marine epoxy putty) and fill them in. This stuff can be sanded and painted too. It is very strong. I had a piece of metal break off of the lower unit of my outboard and I reshaped it back with this stuff 2 years ago and its still solid. Its not a fancy fix but it works and CHEAP to use.

DK in Chicago

Seaman

Tell you what I would do. as long as the cracks and chips are on the outside and no apparent water /damage on the inside,I would clean and dry the areas and then use some good old WATER WELD (marine epoxy putty) and fill them in. This stuff can be sanded and painted too. It is very strong. I had a piece of metal break off of the lower unit of my outboard and I reshaped it back with this stuff 2 years ago and its still solid. Its not a fancy fix but it works and CHEAP to use.

Maybe!

It is only on the bottom, so it just needs to stop the water, not look pretty ;)

Time to grind, fill, sand & paint soon! Ok, maybe after Christmas, we'll see.... :cool:

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Since you used the boat continously with holes in it, the first thing I would do is weigh it. If the foam has soaked up water it will gain hundreds of pounds. Then do a foam core sample to decide if the boat needs to be gutted. and I would grind those cracks and fiberglass. Its just my opinion, but if the glass has a hole trough it it needs glass. If the glass is not broke through use an epoxy. Everyone feels different but I think fix it once, fix it rite.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

There is no need for epoxy IMO...

plus if you use epoxy..plan on using paint for your topcoat and not gel..( kinda a pain to blend paint to gel ).

YD.

DK in Chicago

Seaman

Since you used the boat continously with holes in it, the first thing I would do is weigh it. If the foam has soaked up water it will gain hundreds of pounds. Then do a foam core sample to decide if the boat needs to be gutted. and I would grind those cracks and fiberglass. Its just my opinion, but if the glass has a hole trough it it needs glass. If the glass is not broke through use an epoxy. Everyone feels different but I think fix it once, fix it rite.

Ya I'm guessing by looking at it today that I will have to pull the whole floor off to see how my foam is. Not what I really want to do, but guess it is necessary.

After I do that I'm guessing that will help me decide what route to go next...

I can smell $ burning already... lol TBC...

DK in Chicago

Seaman

If water got in and soaked the foam you'll need to dig it out before it creates more problems.

Well... Ummm... Ya, the foam is SOAKED all the way up to the floor... :(

Sooo.. What am I looking at pricewise between pulling the floor & foam myself, then having a professional fix my fiberglass damage as opposed to having them do the whole process??

One side question, what are my options for flooring since it looks like i will be pulling it out anyway, is there any way to get the new plastic type of floor the boat companies are putting in these days, or are those all custom fit?

*SIGH*

DK in Chicago

Seaman

Here is the floor...

IMAG0024.jpg

Let me guess... I have to pull off everything that rests on the floor first.... Uggg lol

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

"Mainly I am trying to keep $$ to an absolute minimum while ensuring I do not end up with a major leak (or any leaks for that matter)."
Based on your previous statement, there is NO WAY you can hire this work done. You will have to DIY or sell the boat. Removing the Deck and the foam replaceing the stringers, and the Transom (Yeah it's probobaly bad too) and the deck, carpet and getting it back to ship shape condition doing it yourself will be about a $2000 dollar propsition and a LOT of work. BUT... it will be BETTER than NEW and last longer than you will want to own it.

I'm just sayin...:D

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

DK, If that was mine I would fix er up. Thats a nice boat.:)

DK in Chicago

Seaman

You know, I believed someone when they first told me BOAT stood for
"Bust Out Another Thousand"... Looks like I was right.. ;-)

Ok, well sh!#... Guess the first thing is take off the seats and pull the carpet on the main floor.. From that point on I'm going to need a little guidance :confused: Mainly worried about how to get the plywood floor out, are there just screws that need to be removed and it comes up, or it always a demo project? I saw some thread where someone was tearing into it with a sawsall, but since my gas tank is full I'm not looking forward to that...

Any other tips to get started???