Cabin Carpet

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
Seeing as you guys are very knowledgable, I figure I would ask here. I need to redo my cabin carpet, and plan to go with a tan, light grey color, to try and help hide dirt/sand. I found some on Ebay for what appears to be a good price.It is called 1/4" multipile auto/boat carpet. Claims to be mold and mildew resistant and also says to be OEM for auto carpets. Do you think this product will work well in a boat cabin application? I have a 27' boat, and need to cover the floors, aft cabin berth floors, forward berth floors and some other misc. walls and floor areas.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mali...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Cabin Carpet

1/4 inch seems thin to me but I could be wrong. I think I would find Marine grade carpet although I am not sure that it makes a difference. I know that the 30mil carpet on my pontoon is a lot softer than the carpet in my Cars/Truck

jakebrake

Petty Officer 1st Class

from what i see? no. wrong material. will hold water. may not mold or mildew as fast as indoor grade, but will mold and mildew....will also rot rather quickly
'course, i'm not a carpet guy.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the replys. I too am NOT a carpet guy. I want to buy a large roll of the right carpet, to use and possibly keep the rest in case I need to repair or replace some. I know there are different types, thicknesses, backings, etc... I just want to make sure I'm putting the right stuff in.

If anyone has a lead on any good cabin carpet, please let me know.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I replace the carpet in my cabin every spring. I get the cheap stuff from Lowes. I don't glue it down, just cut it to fit. It is an indoor/outdoor grade stuff. Since I change it out every year, I don't get picky about the abuse it gets. My boat is weather tight, so moisture/mildew is not a problem at the dock. Of course I keep my A/C running all the time, but set at 80* when not at the boat. My boat is not fancy, but functional in giving my wife and I the enjoyment we love.

Life is so much better on a boat...................PERIOD! :D

TBTOsterman

Cadet

When you purchase your carpet, look for 20oz or more. The common 16oz carpet seems thin and easily parts down to the backing. I have used both 20 and 16. 20oz is the way to go. Some manufacturers also offer a 24oz.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

I'm leaning towards and indoor/outdoor 20 oz carpet. They have the colors I want, and I can get a roll for a good price. I also might be going with a teak/holly or cherry/holly sole for the boat. Got a good price on it shipped to me. Not sure how well It will hold up though. I figure sandy dirty feet will be walking all over it...

Decisions