1989 Johnson 60 Alarm

tweeek

Recruit
Hello,

I just bought a boat with a 1989 Johnson 60 on it. I have had it out a couple times, but today, I had the alarm go off while off shore. The alarm was constant and happened after running at about 4500rpm for 15 minutes or so. I cut power and found the alarm would be on when the key was in the on position regardless of whether the engine was running. The motor starts and idles fine, I tried to rev up but it started to choke at about 22-2300 rpm. (Is this the "Limp Mode" I read about) So I killed power and came home on the kicker.

The water was flowing freely from the pee hole, it was hot, but not really hot. There is oil in the reservoir.

I let it sit for about 15 minutes while running on the kicker and then tried again, still the horn goes off. Water from the pee hole at this time was cool. When I finally reached my trailer and hauled it out of the water, I turned the key on again and there was no buzzer (approx 25-35 minutes after the initial alarm)

This is the first Johnson I have owned, I am mechanically inclined, but not very experienced with outboard engines.I am not sure where to begin here. I read that there are 4 sensors that could trip the alarm, but dont know how to test them?

Also, what RPM range should I be cruising at, and ideally, what RPM should I hit at WOT?

Thanks for your help!!

Bryce

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1989 Johnson 60 Alarm

J/E Alarms

low oil alarm is a beep every 30 seconds. beep......................beep...................

no oil alarm is a beep every 1/2 second or so.beep,beep,beep

overheat and fuel restriction alarm is a constant beep.beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

i am going to say overheat, off shore tells me it is a salt water motor. the tale tell stream, say the impeller is pumping water, not that the thermostat is opening and cooling the block. i think you have a bad thermostat, very common on salt water motors, should be changed every 2 years, along with the impeller.

tweeek

Recruit
Re: 1989 Johnson 60 Alarm

I will replace the tstat after work today and keep you posted. Thanks for the clarification on the alarms. Any clarification on what RPM I should be cruising at, and what RPM at WOT?

Thanks,
Bryce